Chaos At Pspupdates.com

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
A while ago I found out that pspupdates.com / psphacker.com is a plain commercial site (see http://emunoobs.blogspot.com/, Secrets uncovered-section... the anonymous contributor was me ;))

Today they offered a Premium Membership for some money - where you get special features and ad-free browsing... this lead to a total chaos.

First they deleted a lot of comments that news-post (as a lot of other guys posted links to other, free PSP sites or told how to block the ads), then they closed down the comment-function.

I browsed through their boards - lots of threads about that are being closed down and keep disappearing... really funny watching :)

But I really find this sad...
They make a fortune off homebrew stuff. Basically selling free stuff without supporting any of the homebrew developers.

Other homebrew sites like emuholic.com, pdroms.de or my psparchive.de are completely free and lose a lot of users because of them...
And all these homebrew sites don't make any money - they offer their free time
(and often money for hosting, etc.) for all this...

Of course, pspupdates.com often have the news first - they have lots of people earning money for posting news.

But is the idea of homebrew really the one, that lots of people do something for free so that a bunch of jerks earn themselves a golden ass?

I don't think so...

yea i gotta agree psphacker' isnt one of those pages that fills me up with warmth inside,

it is a tad evil,

so what pages do you guys recommend RE@psp news and what not

If you just want files, go for www.psparchive.de (sister site to www.gp32x.de), updated daily (not every second, like psp-updates.com, but all the new files are there at the end of the day), it also has an RSS-feed (like gp32x.de).

For news and boards, I really do hope hando finds some time to finish his PSP site soon... but, as usual, go to www.emuholic.com, www.pdroms.de and http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/

I have no idea where to look for commercial news, though, 'cause I'm not interested in them.

commercial news, well hell with a new game coming out every 2 months, i guess there's really not much to report anyhow.

KickinWing posted on Jul 11 2005 at 10:33 PM said:
commercial news, well hell with a new game coming out every 2 months, i guess there's really not much to report anyhow.

There is - they report new memory sticks and stuff like that also...

Last edited:
I've always thought of situations like this, but never really knew what to do.

What does a homebrewer do when commercial markets are making money off of his/her program?

I'd be pretty pissed off if I found out some company was making a fortune off of my free code, which I received no money for, ESPECIALLY without my permission.

I do know most devs and most maintainers of other homebrew sites do certainly hate pspupdates.com

EDIT: I started a thread there about homebrew and the situation... let's see how long it takes before it is being deleted

( This is / was the thread )

well ED, I can back you up in saying that everything I've downloaded from psphacker always ends up as a txt file that doesn't work. Yours has always worked for me (psp and gp32)

ED - I just posted about this as well with one big addition... not only are they offering that premium membership now, but suddenly the website is just CRAZY with popups.

I mean, before they were kinda bad, usually I'd get a popup every time I clicked a link, but now they are just popping up like crazy even if you don't click on anything at all! I have a popup blocker and I saw it just going off like crazy, and got about 15 popups blocked in roughly 3 minutes... of viewing the same page and not clicking a thing!

It got so bad that my PC slowed WAAAAAY down and my mouse cursor kept freezing up. Even after I closed all windows, I had to restart my PC entirely before it went back to normal

AVOID that site at all costs!

yeah, that site does suck. also the people that post there seem like ungrateful bastards.

Most homebrew devs and maintainer of other sites do hate pspupdates.com... I hope they'll fall down soon, but I'm afraid they won't.

Have you seen their latest ploy?

Are PSP-Spot good guys? That's my PSP site of choice at the moment.

I had to see it to believe it.

Their download page is EXACTLY like yours! (as you mentioned in your post)

Outrageous!! Are these people kidding or something? They just blatently steal your page script.

Well EvilDragon, I've never been to that site before now, and you've convinced me to hate it too.

Hate isn't even the right word for what I feel towards that site now! Even though they haven't stolen anything of mine (since I have nothing to steal. :S), but still, that is downright bullshit if you ask me.

Naaaah, they couldn't steal that script, as it is from Carrick IT Technologies (free for private use, costs a few bucks for commercial use).

Anyone could use that script, I didn't code it. I just enhanced it a bit (e.g. the categories in my script use pictures instead of simple text), so it's their own will to use it.

I was just a bit angry because they opened up their file area three days after I posted the opening of my site on their boards.
It took me a while finding this useful script and trying lots others... they just saw it works and got it.

Haha! It looks like they lost A LOT of users with their Popup / Payment stuff!

Look at my statistics:

daily_usage_200507.png

Can you see I had 3x as many users yesterday?
:p

good news haha :p
i was there from the beginning, and man did that site turn trashy quick or what!

The killer for PSPupdates was when they stopped reporting about loaders (yeah, they later backed down, but I was lost to PSP-Spot).

Oh whoops, sorry, I didn't know that you didn't code that.

But still, you have to admit, it looks like they totally ripped you off. I mean, they did use the same script... was it a coinsidence?

I'm glad to see that pspupdates could possibly maybe go under due to their own doing. :)

That's the cool thing about homebrew sites, is that they're run by regular people who hate popup/under ads when they're browsing, so they don't add them. :D

Back