Beware Of Pspupdates.com!!!

bast525

You know, for quite some time, I considered pspupdates.com (formerly psphacker.com) to be THE best place to get news and the latest homebrew/files/apps/etc. for the PSP. They always seemed to cover EVERYTHING and to post news very quickly, and always seemed to have the newest stuff first.

I dont know if anyone else here goes there, but if you do, here is your fair warning.

The mother f**king bastards have completely ruined the site. And if you know what's good for you or your PC, you won't go there anymore.

Upon going there today, first thing I notice is this huge announcement, that now they are selling premium memberships. Oooookay? Oh, no worries, non premium members are still free to download anything they want... nooo problems there right?

Yeah, except for the fact that now, you get a popup about every 3-5 seconds. Not just when yuo click links to move around the site, but even if you're just looking at one page not clicking anything. My popup blocker was going off like crazy, and in roughly 3 minutes I got about 15 popups.

Suddenly, I notice the mouse cursor is locking for a few seconds at a time. So, finally I just get fed up and close the window... but it wont close... for like 30 seconds my PC just locked up. And even after the window closed, my PC was going VERY slow... Even when I went to shut it down and restart, it took about 20 seconds for the shut down window to come up.

If anyone who has anything to do with PSPupdates is reading this, you guys are f**king a**holes. Hey, I know it's your site and you can do what you want, but that is just bullsh*t. I dunno if my PC slowed down just because of the massive amount of popups overloaded it, or if you're passing out some kind of adware/spyware, but you guy's are f'ing jerks either way.

To everyone else here, you have been warned.

EDIT: Sorry guys I didn't see that ED had posted about this already. I was so furious and just rushed over here wanting to warn you guys ASAP before anyone else had to suffer that BS.

Yes, they are fucking bastards but if you use a proper browser like Opera, you won't get popups, ads or whatever they add.

I went on and Firefox said they had a script running that was causing the browser to run slow, so I backed the fuck up.

finty posted on Jul 13 2005 at 12:12 PM said:
I went on and Firefox said they had a script running that was causing the browser to run slow, so I backed the fuck up.

That's some BS. So are they doing it on purpose???

Sucks because it WAS one of the better ones.

I think they'll die a slow death now... who wants to go to a site that damn near crashes your PC? And why would anyone want to pay for premium when you can get all that shiz for free somewhere else?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just block all the adds with firefox and don't get any slowdown or pop ups... bast you still running windows 98 ? that could be the problem you know ;)

bast525 posted on Jul 18 2005 at 10:57 AM said:
*is slow to catch on to 'new trends'*

You say this and own two PSPs? :D

They added all of that to try to encourage people to buy premium memberships.

Well, that's the theory that makes sense, at least.

With adblock, I've killed all of those ads. Not that I needed to (since I didn't intend to browse that site), but hey, if pspupdates is going to supply me with a list of ad sites that I can block, so much the better, it just makes it easier to add to the blocked list. ;)

The sites are:

*bluetime.com*
*interclick.com*
*googlesyndication.com* <-- google ads. don't need to block this

for those interested.

If I missed something, I blocked it already

Drag posted on Jul 19 2005 at 06:36 AM said:
*googlesyndication.com* <-- google ads. don't need to block this

You MUSTN'T block this... otherwise, you cannot support devs in Clicks For Devs :lol:

Last edited:
The whole site is now a scam, firstly it used the jap pspwiki releases and put their readme.txt in every single release and tried to pass them off their own, then around 6 weeks ago therer was an influx of ads and popups, then 2 weeks later the premium membership arrived,after that comps for premium members only and slashdots where they linked to themselves instead of the coder,

all in all they suck and are complete tossers

wanna much better site , heres one http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk

i know the owner ;)

Its time to get rid of these people from the homebrew community before they charge you to download homebrew

Coders please be careful when the gpx2 is released, they plan to hijack that scene

Its time to get rid of these people from the homebrew community before they charge you to download homebrew

Yes! Please! Let them do that! Then everybody will use my File Archives :D

Coders please be careful when the gpx2 is released, they plan to hijack that scene

Don't worry, the GP32 / gpx2 community won't fall for such sites.

Just try to advertise a pyramid scheme here and you'll know what I mean :)

I know they registered gpx2updates.com... but I'm gonna register <newgpx2name>updates.com BEFORE them and redirect it to gp32x.de ;)

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Aug 16 2005 at 10:08 PM said:
I know they registered gpx2updates.com... but I'm gonna register <newgpx2name>updates.com BEFORE them and redirect it to gp32x.de ;)

Are you accepting PayPal donations for that?

just curious, how do you set up paypal for donations? Do you need to register a bank account or something? Where do you get the link? (I'm guessing its on their site but I was looking and couldn't find it).

deadlychicken22 posted on Aug 17 2005 at 10:36 PM said:
just curious, how do you set up paypal for donations? Do you need to register a bank account or something? Where do you get the link? (I'm guessing its on their site but I was looking and couldn't find it).

Well, you need a bank account, so they can pay you the money off.

Then you simply register using an eMail adress, and if anybody sends money using PayPal to that eMail adress, you get the money. That's it :)

Last edited:
Back