Changing the nub firmware?

All I know is that the integrated graphics controller by AMD which is on the desktop computer I use not only requires nonfree firmware for 3D, it also doesn't even work properly when the nonfree firmware is there (e.g. on Linux Mint). And now you're telling me I should get a video card from AMD... all of which require nonfree firmware, which you know very well I am not going to use. Yeah, I ain't buying it (literally).

AMD motherboard IGP? Sounds ancient. Not really smart to judge a company by their old hardware, you should find out how something current does when making purchases. Of course for some reason you decided to buy an ancient nVidia card. Maybe that's necessitated by the progress of Noveau, or maybe Think Penguin is just really behind. I would have told you to do more research had you not already ordered it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, there are quite some recent Intel GPUs in that list which have working 3D without proprietary firmwares.

AMD motherboard IGP? Sounds ancient. Not really smart to judge a company by their old hardware
Pretty sure he's referring to their APUs, there were some problems in the beginning. I don't know what kind of GPUs are currently used in the newer ones, but the totally new architecture of the upper class HD 7000 GPUs is currently really not well supported, they didn't even got all documentations through the legal review up to this point.

As far as older integrated GPUs are concerned: They do work very well, except the RS690 - it is kinda a generation of its own, it even has an own column in the feature matrix of the free driver. It simply makes it very vulnerable towards regressions.

I have a feeling he's not referring to their APUs. They've only been making them for a little over a year, unless you count Bobcat which I doubt he has in his desktop, but if so make it a little over 1.5 years. An APU isn't a motherboard IGP that just happens to come with an OEM, it's something I would hope someone even the tiniest bit hardware conscious would know they're getting and deliberately decide on.. But if I'm wrong hopefully he'll correct me. Nonetheless, I think my point stands, it's unwise to avoid a company like AMD based solely on a past experience.

The newest AMD APU, Trinity, is using a 69xx class (Northern Islands) IGP, despite the numbering being 7xxx (GCN).

AMD motherboard IGP? Sounds ancient.

I never said it's integrated into the motherboard, I just said it's "integrated". That's what it's referred to as by HP.

The PC is maybe a year or two old. I don't think it qualifies as "ancient", personally.

EDIT:

Nonetheless, I think my point stands, it's unwise to avoid a company like AMD based solely on a past experience.

That's not why I'm "avoiding" them. They don't manufacture a video card which works fully with free software. All of them require nonfree firmware for 3D.

Sorry, I just figured someone as gung-ho about free software as yourself wouldn't have converted so recently, or otherwise wouldn't have bought an OEM computer with an APU.

So, I guess you are positive that the nVidia card doesn't have firmware that can be updated? Or are you okay with it if it comes pre-reloaded with some so you don't have to have the proprietary blob on your harddrive?

Sorry, I just figured someone as gung-ho about free software as yourself wouldn't have converted so recently, or otherwise wouldn't have bought an OEM computer with an APU.

I've been interested in free software for a long time; I first started using Trisquel months ago, but first off, the computer was bought by my dad (I still live with my parents), and second, my views now are a lot stricter than they were previously. It's not a sudden change.

Back