Downgrading F200 To 4.0.0

jbrodack

gp2x fan
Website
jbrodack.googlepages.com
well just to see what it would do I "upgraded" to 4.1.1 and after seeing the small improvements in the built in apps and after seeing broken autorun I tried to go back to 4.0.0 but it doesn't seem like it fully went back. It can start in gmenu2x but after I quit a program it goes to the default gp2x menu. Not sure what I can do. I have the first round of f200 that came with 4.0.0

I even tried the nand blanker which though I didn't get any screens saying it did anything seemed to roll back the built in apps to 4.0.0 state.

I'd just let to get everything back to how it was with 4.0.0 at least until the f200 version of open2x comes out

I'd like to figure out how to do this as well. I'd like to have a "fallback" in case I have issues upgrading to Open2X if it were to come out for the F200. I'm still sitting comfortably on the 4.0.0 firmware and afraid to change it.

I've updated to 4.1.1 a few times and downgraded to 4.0.0 again. I'm currently at 4.0.0 and have no plans to upgrade again because 4.1.1 breaks more than it mends. But autorun has always worked for me in 4.1.1. Btw. my F200 is a v1, which originally came with 4.0.0. Maybe autorun only breaks on an F200 v2, which originally came with 4.0.2, but then you shouldn't downgrade to 4.0.0 because that will brick the F200 v2.

Here's how I downgraded:
- Use an SD card, not SDHC. Well, to be honest the last time I used SDHC and it still worked, but SD is just safer.
- Wipe the card (preferrably format it).
- Copy all files from Orkie's nandblanker on the card
- Insert it in the F200 and boot with start+select pressed, until the "firmware updating" screen appears. Let it finish. On my F200, there was no message of nandblanker finishing, so I just let it run for 5 minutes or so and then powered off.
- Wipe the card again
- Put a full 4.0.0 firmware on it (get it from http://dev.gp2x.com/release/ )
- Insert the card in the F200 and boot with start+select pressed. Let it finish the installation process (I think to remember you have to confirm halfway).
- You should be greeted with the standard GPH menu.

After downgrading, reboot the F200 to check that the bootscreen correctly shows 4.0.0 and check the system information too. If one of both lists something different from 4.0.0, redo the procedure.

thanks for the guide. I was able to go from 4.1.0 and 4.1.1 with no problem but for 4.0.0 I needed a clean sd card which you mentioned. I didn't think it would matter as long as the files were there but that was what went wrong for me.

now I have 4.0.0 and autorun working fine

Squirrel61 said:
I've updated to 4.1.1 a few times and downgraded to 4.0.0 again. I'm currently at 4.0.0 and have no plans to upgrade again because 4.1.1 breaks more than it mends. But autorun has always worked for me in 4.1.1. Btw. my F200 is a v1, which originally came with 4.0.0. Maybe autorun only breaks on an F200 v2, which originally came with 4.0.2, but then you shouldn't downgrade to 4.0.0 because that will brick the F200 v2.

[...]
Really? The autorun was still fully working when you updated to FW 4.1.1? :blink:

As in, it would still re-execute after exiting any program back to the gp2xmenu, and not just once from start-up.

jbrodack said:
thanks for the guide. I was able to go from 4.1.0 and 4.1.1 with no problem but for 4.0.0 I needed a clean sd card which you mentioned. I didn't think it would matter as long as the files were there but that was what went wrong for me.

now I have 4.0.0 and autorun working fine
The situation you were in was similar to the one Gruso experienced months ago when he went back to FW 4.0.0.

Glad you got it sorted out. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Manjuu said:
Really? The autorun was still fully working when you updated to FW 4.1.1? :blink:

As in, it would still re-execute after exiting any program back to the gp2xmenu, and not just once from start-up.

I'm not sure about the latter, it's already some time ago and I haven't been more than 2 days on 4.1.1. But I'm perfectly sure that gp2xmenu auto-started at initial boot.

Squirrel61 said:
Manjuu said:

I'm not sure about the latter, it's already some time ago and I haven't been more than 2 days on 4.1.1. But I'm perfectly sure that gp2xmenu auto-started at initial boot.

Oh well... would be nice if that was the case.

Currently still using FW 4.1.1 (on my "old" F-200) with a broken autorun. Just waiting for Open2X for the F-200 to come out. :lol:

Manjuu said:
Squirrel61 said:
Manjuu said:

Oh well... would be nice if that was the case.

Currently still using FW 4.1.1 (on my "old" F-200) with a broken autorun. Just waiting for Open2X for the F-200 to come out. :lol:
I have a new f-200.....when will open2x be out and will that fix the autorun in gmanu ? anyone know..........this is harder than I thought to get everything working.................................:( oh well, nothing in life is easy.

cranker said:
I have a new f-200.....when will open2x be out and will that fix the autorun in gmanu ? anyone know..........this is harder than I thought to get everything working.................................:( oh well, nothing in life is easy.
Things should be back on track over the holidays, I'd guess. I am going to have a huge holiday break from work because of slowing demand so that will give me plenty of time to help polish up a lot of stuff on my end of things and finish up SDL and the LCD timings adjuster. Orkie will probably have extra time off, too.

Back