Centipede 1/6 Replica Kickstarter

Nice, I don't recognise that LCD surround though - not enough mushrooms for me, although the control board background appears to be a reproduction of the original.

I'm not that happy about ordering stuff from the states that costs that much, because I've been caught with kickstarter before and had to pay duty and po fees. I guess that would probably just punt it back up to the RRP from the early bird price though, so not all that bad.

I wanted to back it, but I couldn;t find anything about what shipping to Australia would be

I wonder why they picked a game with a trackball, must be one of the harder controllers to scale down and keep playable.

I'd like one but I think it would just end up gathering dust.

I was thinking of getting it as a present for someone.

@Ian J Yeah I agree, they should have chosen somehting else TBH. At least with a Galaga machine they could have offered other games in the future so your not stuck with just one game. But I guess thats not what they want to do with this product. Instead they want to focus on individual pieces

I'm not sure a 1/6th scale joystick would be that playable either - they'd probably have to replace it with a d-pad. Getting a mini trackball functioning must be quite tricky though - the full sized ones have the optical shutter mechanism out of an old mouse mounted underneath the ball in the X and Y positions. That said, I have an optical one from about 15 years ago, and that has a little window with an LED and a camera inside, inside the ball cavity - but the ball in that case was textured. Maybe modern laser mouse mechanism would work against a smooth white ball though, I dunno.

At least with it having a trackball, assuming that can be made to work, hacking it and putting Missile Command on it would be quite successful.

Nice, I don't recognise that LCD surround though - not enough mushrooms for me, although the control board background appears to be a reproduction of the original.

I'm not that happy about ordering stuff from the states that costs that much, because I've been caught with kickstarter before and had to pay duty and po fees. I guess that would probably just punt it back up to the RRP from the early bird price though, so not all that bad.

Yeah, I'm figuring that customs and shipping would pretty make it RRP. If it was any higher than the Super Early Bird, then I'm not so sure it would be worth it.

The sides also look unfamiliar to me, although it's probably a variant on the one I (we) played. I'd prefer a UK style one, but I doubt that would happen.

I wonder why they picked a game with a trackball, must be one of the harder controllers to scale down and keep playable.

I thought the same initially, but I'm really, really glad they did. All the replicas and mini-arcades I've seen before have been 'standard' type controllers, but the trackball was what I loved about that game; it's unusual, and I don't see many other replicas being created.

I'd also like a Super Street Fighter 2 (Turbo) one, but with the six buttons and joystick, I doubt it would be the slightest bit playable. That might not have stopped me having a punt on it, had it been what they did first instead!

I can see someone in the comments saying the international shipping for them was $50. Ouch, but expected given it's size and probable weight etc

Could be decent for modding using a Raspberry Pi with just trackball games on it, Marble Madness & Quantum spring to mind.

I like the project, but at the same time would not buy a cab that tiny. If it was just a little bit bigger... why do they insist on making these barbie size? Can't imagine playing this things to be much fun.

Funny, to me it's too big. I would like something that sits nicely on my desk without being imposing.

Yeah, it looks like the back of it is likely plastic. I think it's more likely that the side panels will be wood - but would be a good question to ask them.

Yeah, I'll probably grab this as a collectible, and showing of support, as this is pretty cool. I agree with all the issues stated here, as I really don't know how well that trackball will function in the end. But lets be honest, on that small screen with perfect controls, how good would anyone be anyways? Centipede is probably one of the busiest coin-ops of the era, and that small screen isn't going to do any favors here for sure.

I want to see some other Atari games in the future, but the size while better than most arcade replica handhelds, still seems to small to insure proper controls on most games. I'll for sure get it at under $100, but if the price of $160 they state would be the regular retail, I would more than likely pass on it. Still very cool, and I'll report back if and when this ever ships out. LOL

Chris

At the current price it's just too expensive.

I guess depending on one's perspective, it could certainly be seen as such. But looking at all current type items in the market that retail for $20-$50, or past table top replica's like the Coleco ones, this is really a bargain. And with those games, they are very poor representations of the original coin-ops they mimic. With poor controls, along with rather poor game play compered to the OG's.

As I stated, even the retail of $160 would be a stretch for me personally, but honestly, depending on how these turn out, that could still be a decent deal. These mini arcade replicas have been popular for years in Japan, and they don't even play games. http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?SearchText=1/12+Scale+Namco+Arcade

So you can easily see how this could appeal to many, even at it's current pricing, as this is really the best arcade offering in mini form to come along in 40 years. Time will tell the appeal, but so long as they don't produce "trash", I think these could do well enough to have more done over time. At least that's my hope.

Chris

Back