Castaway Beta 004.5

I had bad sound crackling problems in frodo too, they're still there which is something I need to look at still but not as bad as they were. I found it happened most when I wanted to slow the emulation down and I used a small loop that sat doing nothing for a while. A quick fix I found was to have that loop read a video register instead of doing nothing.

It might be that this keeps the memory bus more busy, thus slowing it down and avoiding the bug.

Thank you guys for the response.. I can rest a little more stress free now. :D.. I will look forward to swapping in a future release.

snaff posted on May 4 2003 said:
I had bad sound crackling problems in frodo too, they're still there which is something I need to look at still but not as bad as they were. I found it happened most when I wanted to slow the emulation down and I used a small loop that sat doing nothing for a while. A quick fix I found was to have that loop read a video register instead of doing nothing.

It might be that this keeps the memory bus more busy, thus slowing it down and avoiding the bug.
snaf..

Looks like I get popping when compiler optimization is turned on; things runnign too fast, too much memory bandwidth being used up, causes popping. Turning off the optimization fixes it all up. Big drag.. nto sure what I can do about it :/

Iv'e tried turnign off write-back-cache but it didn't help.

So looks like I can have no sound, popping sound (very little slowdown), or good sound (major frameskip needed, due to no optimizations turned on).

Sucks.

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard that the popping was due to some library that you might be comple'in with... perhaps have a word with CriagX about it?

Back