Castaway Beta 004.5

I had bad sound crackling problems in frodo too, they're still there which is something I need to look at still but not as bad as they were. I found it happened most when I wanted to slow the emulation down and I used a small loop that sat doing nothing for a while. A quick fix I found was to have that loop read a video register instead of doing nothing.

It might be that this keeps the memory bus more busy, thus slowing it down and avoiding the bug.

snaff posted on May 4 2003 said:
I had bad sound crackling problems in frodo too, they're still there which is something I need to look at still but not as bad as they were. I found it happened most when I wanted to slow the emulation down and I used a small loop that sat doing nothing for a while. A quick fix I found was to have that loop read a video register instead of doing nothing.

It might be that this keeps the memory bus more busy, thus slowing it down and avoiding the bug.
snaf..

Looks like I get popping when compiler optimization is turned on; things runnign too fast, too much memory bandwidth being used up, causes popping. Turning off the optimization fixes it all up. Big drag.. nto sure what I can do about it :/

Iv'e tried turnign off write-back-cache but it didn't help.

So looks like I can have no sound, popping sound (very little slowdown), or good sound (major frameskip needed, due to no optimizations turned on).

Sucks.

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard that the popping was due to some library that you might be comple'in with... perhaps have a word with CriagX about it?

Back