Cartoon Appreciation Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
At the moment some of my favorites from when I was younger are those that I mentioned.  I used to love Transformers, but I can't remember watching it much.  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, obviously.  Pirates of Dark Water was a good one, imo.  He-Man was another major one, but I haven't watched it in decades.  As mentioned earlier I want to revisit the Ghostbusters series.  I watched the Back to the Future cartoons, but I don't recall them having quite the impact of the movies or other cartoons I listed.  I have a hard time remembering a lot of the 80s and 90s cartoons.  I have watched a couple compilations of opening theme songs on YouTube.

*Consulting a list*  Scooby Doo is ok in most of it's iterations.  It was playing while I was working on something the other day and there was this goth girl band playing.  I later found out they are in a few episodes and movies, so I might try to track those down.  While on the topic of music, Alvin and the Chipmunks from that era was something I watched often.  I guess I like cat cartoons because I watched both Garfield and Heathcliff.  Beetlejuice (maybe I like cartoon goth chicks).  Fat Albert.  Fraggle Rock (both versions) and Muppet Babies.  I am pretty sure I liked G.I. Joe, but I don't remember watching it much.  Mr. T. My Little Pony, Care Bears, Rainbow Brite.  I will finish up the 80s and add some 90s cartoons later.

Some Disney stuff was good: Duck Tales (and the games!), Tale Spin.  Some of the others had some good story arcs or episodes, but I wasn't super into like Aladdin (the series) and Rescue Rangers.  I think my absolute favorite Disney cartoon series is Gargoyles.  Oh, almost forgot Gummi Bears, another of the greats.  Maybe others.

Some modern youth oriented ones I like are Regular Show, The Amazing World of Gumball and Steven Universe.  Tron: Uprising was good, and I feel they should have made more episodes...oops, I seem to have wandered back into Disney.

That Bravestarr episode is the best one. The fight near the end between the two of them...best friends. :)

Another show worth a mention(I'm probably one of the few on planet Earth who liked it) was Monster Rancher. Exosquad too.

(maybe I like cartoon goth chicks).
Who doesn't. :)
I guess the people who act like there is something wrong with me when I point them out (so at least a couple people).  Maybe this thread's title can be changed to "Cartoon Goth Chick Appreciation Thread" and we can keep both threads by tricking everyone into thinking they are about different things.

I guess the people who act like there is something wrong with me when I point them out (so at least a couple people).  Maybe this thread's title can be changed to "Cartoon Goth Chick Appreciation Thread" and we can keep both threads by tricking everyone into thinking they are about different things.
I get that as well, I tend to ignore them and carry on anyway (I'm running out of places to hide the bodies :) ) + sounds like a good idea to me.

for 'more serious' animation, The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers was one of the best series, if not the best. i think i remember reading that many of the episodes were scripted by actual SF authors. in any case, the plotting and pacing was several steps up from most other kiddy series in the mid-80s. animation was by Tokyo Movie Shinsa (Lupin III, Ulysses 31, The Mighty Orbots, freakin Akira, etc etc).

The animation was completed in Japan by the famed Tokyo Movie Shinsa, but The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers was one of the first anime-style shows to be created, storyboarded, voiced and produced in the U.S. The show originally aired as a series of sixty-five 30-minute episodes that combined elements of the Hollywood Western, the space opera and the epic sword-and-sorcery fantasy.
i think all of the episodes are on youtube and hulu now:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/c5NIf4yS-Ik?feature=oembed

and as an aside, BraveStarr was the last animation series to be drawn entirely in the US.

^

keep-calm-and-take-a-cold-shower-1.png

This was an okay show. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZSm59QdG_g

Back