Card Reader/writer Advice

raven

Website
yafl.gossamer.nl
I have some problems with my USB 2.0 Sweex external 6-in-1 cardreader: when I write a large amount of data (many MP3 files or whole movies) to my 1GB Kingston SD card the data corrupts, same thing happens with a second card (same size and brand) I don't have any problems with any other USB devices including an external harddisk.

I wait long enough (5 minutes after the transfer is finished) and software eject the card before removing so it's not because of removing the card too early.

When I make a USB1 cable connection and transfer the same data everything is alright and the card also works fine when the data is transfered using a Palm (but transfering a movie this way takes 90 minutes :( )

What I would like to know:
1)Any people with the same card-reader with the same problems or without any problems. Please only reply if you have tried transferring large amounts of data at once (say over 500 MB)
2)Any people with the same SD card with or without the same problems. Again only reply if you have tried transferring large amounts of data.
3)Names of cardreaders that definitely work without problems.

I want to try and find out what the problem is before spending a lot of money on new cards, cardreaders or computers.

Edit: my spelling sucks...

You're not alone, have a look at this thread http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=22648

I've abandoned using my card reader now, in favour of just using the usb cable.

One thing I am curios about tho, is are you running windows XP?? It could be a microsoft problem, and if its not, lets blame them anyway!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
greenmikey posted on Dec 6 2005 at 04:12 AM said:
The word on the street is...USB2 tastes bad to gp2x. It may just be a rumor though
Not a rumor but that's about connecting the gp2x directly to the computer.

I got a reply from Sweex, these cardreaders simply do not support cards bigger than 512MB. I bought this one in 2003 when I got my GP32 but they are still for sale. I know MediaMarkt is selling them quite cheap now (and now I know why :rolleyes:) so don't get one of these if you plan to use cards bigger than 512MB.

Last edited by a moderator:
The same is probably true for my TwinMOS 7-in-1 then, cos it does the same and I bought it for my GP32 and always used it with small cards.

Back