Carbuying Help

Xisiqomelir

Still Fresh
The lemon in question.

First off, this is only one of a bunch of cars I'm looking at, and I might cave and drop my 10K on a Honda Civic because of gas mileage. So you don't need to tell me "You should get a Civic instead, they have better gas mileage". Assume I have a limitless gas budget.

What I don't have is a limitless repairs budget. So I'm concerned about mechanical reliability. The car I'm looking at hasn't got too many miles (85K) on it, but I have no idea what I should be looking for re: the engine to avoid paying for lots of foreign parts and specialized BMW labour fees if some finickety piece of the car crumbles to bits. So, anyone ever owned or worked on a '95 740i, and if you have, what should I check out on the car when I go look at it in person this weekend? I'd like to know about all the delicate and fragile components I should check out.

All info much appreciated!

Do not go near this car, it has the 4.0 engine - an engine which was supposed to be recalled and replaced with the 4.4 due to severe cylinder wear problems caused by high sulphur petrol.

You need to look for 1996 4.4 740i and onwards - a fantastic car (i've had 2) which you should be able to find with satnav & TV system. A lot of car for little money.

You can't get much more advanced and nice than a 7 series, beat Mercs by miles.

Also, that car is white, they didn't offer the car in white - at least in the UK.

You may also want to go mad and get a 750iL V12 - have a taste of a european muscle car :)

-Craig

edit: spelling.

You need to look for 1996 4.4 740i and onwards - a fantastic car (i've had 2)

Details, please? I'd love to hear firsthand from an owner about what I should look for when buying used and what common problems are.

I found this excellent community site, and basically everyone says if I can find one with full service records and all scheduled maintenance it'll keep going for at least 5-6 more years, which is about the timeframe I'm looking at.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to look for 1996 4.4 740i and onwards - a fantastic car (i've had 2)

Details, please? I'd love to hear firsthand from an owner about what I should look for when buying used and what common problems are.

I found this excellent community site, and basically everyone says if I can find one with full service records and all scheduled maintenance it'll keep going for at least 5-6 more years, which is about the timeframe I'm looking at.

I'd say it go on longer than that my mums series 7 bmw is 14 year old now, never had a problem with it mechnically and still drives as well and the body work looks just as good as it did when she got it 10 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.the7seriesregister.co.uk/ I think is the best 7 site, its mostly UK owners though, but it is very good.

Well assuming you are going to go for the 740 or 745 (the same car) with the 4.4, here is what to look for:

Gearbox - make sure it is steptronic - if it IS the car is 100% a 4.4 litre - if it isn't and it is just PRND432 then don't buy it. Steptronic is 5 speed auto which looks like PRND+-

Check the engine plate - if it says 'Induvidual' then its a custom build - it will be loaded, a good buy as the original owner had a lot of money and will have looked after it. Do not buy models with no options (basic options are electric seats, leather, cruise, all electrics) if they could not afford anymore options they could not afford to look after it.

Look for Satnav, TV, comfort seats, heated seats, climate control, rear and window blinds, rear electrics, heated steering wheel, electric steering wheel, ASC+T, Traffic Master, BMW phone system, aux ventilation (warms car for you on cold mornings), DSP HI FI option (21 speakers!), the more of these options you can find the better, don't buy one unless it at least has the TV.

Mileage isn't really too important, the 4.4 will go on forever - as long as it has service history! Gearbox is sealed too - no need to change the oil or filter.

Bodywork may go on the tips of the boot (trunk) near the rear window.

Xenon headlines look seriously cool but are really rare in 1996 and very expensive to look after.

When you test drive take it to about 100mph and between 50-80 make sure there is NO vibration from the wheel - if it has ANY don't buy it, fixing that can be $$$

If it has over 95k on it make sure the water system has been replaced - it should have failed by now. If it has not failed it will do VERY soon.

Make sure you test from cold and make sure the EML light is out (if it has one).

Computer will tell you any problems with the car when it is first turned on, take notice of the messages as there might be more than one. If there are any at all it is a sign the car isn't looked after. Also make sure there are is at LEAST one green light left on the service indicator.

OK, thats all I can think of for now, good luck! (Don't be afraid of the V12 either ;)

-Craig

Back