Capacity Sd Card, And Controls Questions

D.U

Still Fresh
Hello fellow gamers, I'm considering purchasing the Wiz very soon. I've read that it comes with 1GB capacity, but will that be enough to hold a couple emulators and games?

I know I would be using SNES, GBC, GBA emulators, PicoDrive (Some Genesis Games, along with Sonic CD) Scumvs(i love the Curse of Monkey Island, but haven't played the others), Mame4All, Psx4all ( when development is complete), and maybe a few homebrew, or regular flash games. So I was thinking about buying a SD card, but 16GB would be too much, no? I was thinking that either a 4 or 8GB card should be sufficient.

I probably wouldn't be using the music and video portion of the Wiz since I have a PMP (Cowon D2+) of the same screen size with superb audio, and good enough video capabilities.

And another question about the "action" buttons on the right. Are they really a pain to use, because the small space that seperates them? I've read that some users have hand/thumb cramps after playing for a while.

-Thanks for reading.

The emulators themselves are not large neither are the roms. SNES and Genesis games are generally around 5MB so the 1GB of internal memory is plenty of space for classics, however, you mentioned you want to run some CD based games, ISO's are of course larger so depending how many of those you have or want could fill that 1GB pretty quickly.

I have a 2GB SD card exclusively for emulation and it holds well over 1000's of classics. I then use the 1GB internal storage for all the homebrew games and PC ports like Doom. Still haven't run out of space, unless I play CD games... then yeah, it becomes an issue, I have room for maybe one CD game currently so I just swap them out when I'm in the mood for one of those games, I don't keep them stored on the Wiz, I would if I had a bigger card but never got around to buying one and I'm not sure I ever will, really the 2GB card I have is enough for me personally.

Also, the controls work fine for me I don't get cramps or anything but if you have abnormally large hands or fingers I could see it becoming troublesome.

I see, that gives me a good estimate; I probably won't go over 1000 files. Thanks for your response, MiOdd.

MiOdd said:
The emulators themselves are not large neither are the roms. SNES and Genesis games are generally around 5MB so the 1GB of internal memory is plenty of space for classics, however, you mentioned you want to run some CD based games, ISO's are of course larger so depending how many of those you have or want could fill that 1GB pretty quickly.

I have a 2GB SD card exclusively for emulation and it holds well over 1000's of classics. I then use the 1GB internal storage for all the homebrew games and PC ports like Doom. Still haven't run out of space, unless I play CD games... then yeah, it becomes an issue, I have room for maybe one CD game currently so I just swap them out when I'm in the mood for one of those games, I don't keep them stored on the Wiz, I would if I had a bigger card but never got around to buying one and I'm not sure I ever will, really the 2GB card I have is enough for me personally.

Also, the controls work fine for me I don't get cramps or anything but if you have abnormally large hands or fingers I could see it becoming troublesome.

It's actually even better than that since the snes/genesis roms max out at 4mb and the majority of games are 2mb and down. When you add compression to the mix the rom size goes down maybe 3/4 of the original size so that even the 4mb roms usually drop to 3mb after being zipped and the 2s go down to 1.5. That's a lot of gaming for a 2gb card. I bought a 4gb card last year for $15 at staples and the 8's are starting to get down in that range as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you mention psx4all... I don't think the roms or isos or whatever it uses can be as small as SNES or Genesis roms.

I went all out and ordered a 32g card. I'm loading it up with everything! :)

kev256 said:
I went all out and ordered a 32g card. I'm loading it up with everything!
smile.gif
Wish I had that sort of money. Got a 16GB SDHC card for over a year now. I think that is plenty for the moment.

kev256 said:
I went all out and ordered a 32g card. I'm loading it up with everything! :)

Wow, you're crazy, that's probably going to last a life time, wellunless you're filling it up with movies or so.

I also went all out and got 32Gigs, however I put a lot of manga, anime and music on there as well 1000's of games. The wiz does it all for me. XD

I just got myself a 16gb card for £16. Shame I have to wait until my birthday to play my Wiz as it's a gift from my girlfriend!!!

Crazyteknohed said:
I just got myself a 16gb card for £16. Shame I have to wait until my birthday to play my Wiz as it's a gift from my girlfriend!!!

Me too, it'll be a gift from my wife. I already saw a thinkgeek.com package show up the other day :)

kev256 said:
Crazyteknohed said:

Me too, it'll be a gift from my wife. I already saw a thinkgeek.com package show up the other day :)

Me three - a gift from my girlfriend. I think there's a trend starting here...

thehen said:
kev256 said:
Crazyteknohed said:

Me three - a gift from my girlfriend. I think there's a trend starting here...
Me 2 :)

Back