Can't Get Wad Files To Work With Prboom

dochuge

Still Fresh
Hey all,

Prboom is great and both the doom1 and doom2.wad work great. However any conversions do not. Now I have the latest version of the doom wad files and the instructions seem pretty easy: put the .gpe file in the prboom directory and put the wad in the wad folder. So thats what I did: I labeled a folder "wad" and placed all wads in there. Any .gpe file I start just kicks me out of the program and back to the wiz's main screen. Is there something I am not accounting for here? IF I put the doom1 and doom 2 wads in the wad folder then they don't work either. Thanks, some of the conversions seem like they would be lots of fun.

Doc

dochuge said:
Hey all,

Prboom is great and both the doom1 and doom2.wad work great. However any conversions do not. Now I have the latest version of the doom wad files and the instructions seem pretty easy: put the .gpe file in the prboom directory and put the wad in the wad folder. So thats what I did: I labeled a folder "wad" and placed all wads in there. Any .gpe file I start just kicks me out of the program and back to the wiz's main screen. Is there something I am not accounting for here? IF I put the doom1 and doom 2 wads in the wad folder then they don't work either. Thanks, some of the conversions seem like they would be lots of fun.

Doc

try adding to the script before prboom is executed:
echo 2 > /proc/cpu/alignment

Last edited by a moderator:
dochuge said:
Hey all,

Doc

Are you running them from an SD card and not the NAND memory ? Because they are pointed to run there.

Pickle said:
try adding to the script before prboom is executed:

Hi,

Thanks Pickle!
It worked for me.
Curiously this trick was necessary to run the Doom WAD pack for wiz .
But it is not needed for the doom1.wad shareware version....
(PrBoom 2.5.0, FW 1.1.0)

EDIT: I've found that occurs when I use the doom1.wad _shareware_ version.
I have no problem when playing with the last version of doom2.wad
Sorry :)

That's kind of weird, because they work for me without that line of script.

Thanks guys,

Im not sure how I type in this script before running pr boom. Also, yes, the wads are on my sd card, I should transfer them over to the internal memory the wiz has? I see.....I'll give that a try.

Doc

Ok guys,

I put the wads in my nand memory along with prboom and doom1 and 2. wad. No dice. Looks like something is loading, it hangs, and I get booted back to the icon screen. Doesnt seem to be many people getting the wads to work so Im not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Doc

the hack tells the kernel to fix misalignments detected in the binary. The code needed for just doom1/2 doesnt have any misalignments, but some of the stuff used for addon wads does.

also there shouldnt be any reason to have to copy files to the nand, unless you want them there all the time. But its common practice here to leave the nand alone.

Hey Pickle (or anyone else),

Still can't get those doom wads to load. You mentioned earlier in the thread that:

I needed to add "echo 2 > /proc/cpu/alignment" to the script but I'm not very technically inclined and I am not sure HOW I go about doing this. If you can enlighten me I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
Doc

dochuge said:
Hey all,

Doc

dochuge said:

Still can't get those doom wads to load. You mentioned earlier in the thread that:

I needed to add "echo 2 > /proc/cpu/alignment" to the script but I'm not very technically inclined and I am not sure HOW I go about doing this. If you can enlighten me I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
Doc

copy and paste? just add it whatever script your using before the prboom is executed.

dochuge said:

Thanks,
Doc

Here is an example of the script you'd use. This is adding "echo 2" to 007goldeneye.gpe which is used to launch the 007 Goldeneye Doom 2 conversion.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
./prboom -config prboom.cfg -iwad wad/doom2.wad -file wad/007goldeneye.wad > prboom.log.txt 2>&1
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

Take note of the second line in that code, because it is where the "echo 2" line is located. So what you need to do is open the .gpe file and add that in the same place as the example above to whatever script it is that you want to edit. I recommend downloading notepad ++ and using that to edit .gpe files. Just be sure to save it in UNIX format. You do that by clicking on Edit -> EOL Conversion -> UNIX Format. Then of course save the file.

Alternatively, if none of the WADs you downloaded from here are working, try deleting all of the prboom files (not folders or WADs) and then putting the files back on your SD card. It might sound like an odd thing to try, but sometimes that fixes non-working games for me.

Back