Can't Get Neogeo Emulator Working

Troy the Great

Still Fresh
Can't seem to get my games working. Everytime I choose to play a Zipped NeoGeo game, It just takes me back to the main Gp2x menu. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Troy the Great posted on Jul 1 2006 at 02:13 PM said:
Can't seem to get my games working. Everytime I choose to play a Zipped NeoGeo game, It just takes me back to the main Gp2x menu. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Check the romrc (that means open it and search) and the contents of the zip and make sure they match for the game in question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which game are you trying to run? (Full title)
Do you get any error messages?
Do you have the Neo Geo Bios installed correctly?

Troy the Great posted on Jul 2 2006 at 12:55 AM said:
What is romrc???

It's a file in the gngeo zip, it should be in your directory. Open it in notepad and you'll see it lists what actual files your roms' zipfiles sould include.

If there is a discrepancy, it means you need a different version of the rom, or need to use clrmamepro to change it to a different version.

My big mistake with gngeo was having the neogeo bios files named incorrectly. They should be named:

000-lo.lo
sm1.sm1
sfix.sfx
sp-s2.sp1

For some reason, even unibios wouldn't work for me until I renamed those others :huh:

FWIW neogeo was by far the hardest emu for me to get working (and even now I need to fiddle with new roms), so you're not alone!

I just setup GNGeo2X this afternoon (I had to do it sooner or later :))

Step 1

Download GNGeo2x.

Step 2

Unzip the contents in a folder called NeoGeo. Place that folder anywhere on your SD card.

Step 3

Go to Google and search for Neo Geo BIOS files. You will likely find a .zip file. Download it, and extract it in some folder on your harddrive.

Step 4

The BIOS zip will likely contain the following files. Rename them to the bold names.
  • neo-geo.rom > vs-bios.rom
  • ng-lo.rom > 000-lo.lo
  • ng-sfix.rom > sfix.sxf
  • ng-sm1.rom > delete, not needed
Step 5

Copy the renamed BIOS files to your SD card, in NeoGeo > roms. The roms folder was already part of the GNGeo2x zip, so it should have been there along with a readme file telling you to put the BIOS files there.

Step 6

Download Rage2X.

Step 7

Extract all the files inside the NeoGeo folder on your SD card. Remember, NeoGeo is the folder on your SD card where you put the NeoGeo emulator.

Step 8

Create a folder called roms on the root of your SD card. Inside this folder, create another one called neogeomvs. All your zipped rom sets will go in this folder.

Step 9

Get yourself some kickass games. They can be found wherever MAME games are found. What worked mighty fine for me were Metal Slug and Thrash Rally. Put the .zip files in roms > neogeomvs.

Step 10

Run Rage2X. Scroll down until you highlight one of the Green text games. The Red text are the games that are supported, but which you do not have. Press A, and then after the screen changes press A again. Be patient for the rom to load, as it needs to unpack everything.

Enjoy!

- Alex

Thanks, I was having a bit of trouble myself, but I can never find the right bios files. I've downloaded tens of zips containing only part of the needed bios files for any emulator. The list that Gaterooze gave of files were all that I had, but in none of them do I have a 'neo-geo.rom'.

I can get a few to play, but any of the KOF games, Pulstar etc. don't work, and if I recall, one of them has a warning message that reads something like: "This cartridge is to be used on Neo Geo hardware only." Probably meaning I don't have the bios files installed correctly.

The BIOS I have installed currently contains these files:

"sfix.sfx
sm1.sm1
sp-s2.sp1
000-lo.lo
sp-e.sp1
sp-j2.rom
sp-s.sp1
vs-bios.rom
usa2slt.bin
asia-s3.rom
sp1.jipan.1024"

Do I rename any of these? Some of these aren't in anyone's guide, and I'm missing a lot of files.

Is the frontend necessary? I've been playing Samurai Shodown 4 like there was no tomorrow without the frontend.

Thanks a lot, I have yet to test it out because all my batteries went dead with all the graphics dumps it performed yesterday ;). But I can't wait to play KOF 2002...

Alex. posted on Jul 2 2006 at 04:27 AM said:

Step 1

Download GNGeo2x.

Step 2

Unzip the contents in a folder called NeoGeo. Place that folder anywhere on your SD card.

Step 3

Go to Google and search for Neo Geo BIOS files. You will likely find a .zip file. Download it, and extract it in some folder on your harddrive.

Step 4

The BIOS zip will likely contain the following files. Rename them to the bold names.
  • ng-lo.rom > 000-lo.lo
  • ng-sfix.rom > sfix.sxf
Step 5

Copy the renamed BIOS files to your SD card, in NeoGeo > roms. The roms folder was already part of the GNGeo2x zip, so it should have been there along with a readme file telling you to put the BIOS files there.

Step 6

Download Rage2X.

Step 7

Extract all the files inside the NeoGeo folder on your SD card. Remember, NeoGeo is the folder on your SD card where you put the NeoGeo emulator.

Step 8

Create a folder called roms on the root of your SD card. Inside this folder, create another one called neogeomvs. All your zipped rom sets will go in this folder.

Step 9

Get yourself some kickass games. They can be found wherever MAME games are found. What worked mighty fine for me were Metal Slug and Thrash Rally. Put the .zip files in roms > neogeomvs.

Step 10

Run Rage2X. Scroll down until you highlight one of the Green text games. The Red text are the games that are supported, but which you do not have. Press A, and then after the screen changes press A again. Be patient for the rom to load, as it needs to unpack everything.

Enjoy!

HELP PLEASE HOW DO I RUN RAGE2x, im not sure how to run a .rar file?

- Alex

matthew posted on Jul 3 2006 at 08:51 PM said:
:lol: How long have you been on the internet? 2 or 3 days? Anyway: A .rar file is a compressed archive, you can extract its data with Winrar or iZarc. (I strongly assume you are running Windows :p )

EDIT: I can´t believe anyone still has problems running gngeo... when i first used it, i had to create bash scripts for every game and every clockspeed i wanted to run, and big games didn´t work at all...

matthew posted on Jul 3 2006 at 04:51 PM said:
Alex. posted on Jul 2 2006 at 04:27 AM said:

Step 1

Download GNGeo2x.

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

• ng-lo.rom > 000-lo.lo
  • ng-sfix.rom > sfix.sxf
Step 5

Step 6

Download Rage2X.

Step 7

Step 8

Step 9

Step 10

Enjoy!

- Alex

That will be a mystery for the ages. Meanwhile try Google. :angry:

- Alex

Back