Can't Fast Forward Videos.

Kagey

Still Fresh
MK2 / Firmware 3.0.0

I've managed to get two films onto the GP2X and the playback quality (apart from the annoying viewing angle, due to the lighting) and sound seems really good although I've two questions on it.

1. When pressing right on the joystick, the fast forward feature appears, but on release, the film stays where it was. Both videos AVI container, with XVid picture and mpga sound (according to vlc output from my pc). Am I doing something wrong or do I need to understand more about what formats the GP2X can accept?

2. On power saving, films are choppy, setting to Normal Power solves this, but after few minutes, one film reset itself. Is this because I need to set the machine on full power to watch films?

TIA. :)

Sorry about that, MK2 Firmware 3 :)

I assume this has been answered b4 or I'm doing something daft?

I can't find any threads that seem to address this problem and playing on full power still restarts films after
about 10mins of viewing. Fast forward on full speed now just seems to confuse the machine.

Anyone?

What size is the vid file yuo are trying to use?

I would guess that it's too large for the GP2X to handle easily. I have sound that some will fast forward and others wont. Probably the reason for your second question, too.

Try re-encoding to a smaller size :)

Thanks for that.

The video size of the two files I've used were approx 750MB, with a resolution of approx 500x300.

I've since tried encoding XVid5 on trailers and had more success.

I'll try some proper films and see how it goes. Will post back results in case they're of any use to others.

Right, I've done some investigation and seem to have orrible results.

First I tried encoding a trailer from a DVD @320x240 of approx 1 minute long using XVid4 and it plays and forwards/rewinds fine.

Using that success I tried encoding from DVD a single episode of 21minutes with an output file using both XVid4 and then XVid (both resulting in files of approx 115MB) to see if there are any differences. Both won't allow forward/rewind and just freeze when asked to perform either operation.

In addition, both videos stop at the same point, around 10minutes into the episode.

As a guess, I'd say memory/paging type issues, not being able to cope with the filesize. Has anyone got any suggestions on a definitive encoding format to use?

I was hoping to use this device as a movie player but it doesn't seem (hopefully due to my lack of knowledge) to be able to do this at present. Should the gp2x be able to handle files of ~700MB

Any help appreciated

I haven't encoded anything myself since the GP32 days (too lazy). I have downloaded some episodes of Seinfeld that are ~100mb and they work just fine.

I haven't encoded anything myself since the GP32 days (too lazy). I have downloaded some episodes of Seinfeld that are ~100mb and they work just fine.

Would you be kind enough to let me have the exact encoding of your Seinfeld espisodes? I can then try to rip to that exact format and see what results I get. I'm sure I'm missing something somewhere.

you are not using alkaline battery's are you? pleas tell me you are not :)

I am using the 2500Nimh batteries supplied within the value pack.

I assume you ask this question because I mention the videos stopping? Just to clarify, the machine itself isn't running out of batteries, the video player seems to automatically flick onto the next video after 10 minutes, as though the Top R button was pressed.

Thanks for the replies.

ah, ok. :)
hm strange one that is... maybe its sd card related, do you have another to try?

I had the same problem with fast forwarding, etcetera and I have a 150x Samsung SD card so I tried the alternative player available from http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,6,1679 and I find the ones this lets me fast forward no problems and also if you hit the select button while playing a film it will zoom in to full screen as well which is great for widescreen videos.

I tried it with a couple of 700 MB files and they worked fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried mp2x with same inability to fast forward on both files.

The SD card I'm using is a Kodak standard 2GB card (only bought last week from Argos @£45!!!) which I'm struggling to find specifications of. According to the Kodak website, the card doesn't exist!! That'll teach me not to research my purchases...

I've just ordered a Viking high speed card, so I'll test that too and see what results I get. I'll post my results once I've got another card to compare it to.

In the meantime, any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

The plot thickens. :ph34r:

I've had a brainwave (i think) and tried viewing avis held on the SD card, through the USB link using VLC on my PC. :blink:

Data seems to have been transferred quick enough to watch the video files and even to allow fast-forwarding. This would suggest to my mind, that the SD card isn't the bottleneck in this. :angry:

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

Hmm... I guess just because the card works OK on your PC, doesn't mean that the card will be 100% compatable with the finnicky old GP2X! :D

At this stage, my money is still on the SD card, but I guess the arrival of the Viking card will prove this out...

@ 320x240 you *should* have no problem FF'ing...

Thanks for the update, unfortunately I'd not explained myself properly. :(

The SD card was inserted into the GP2X and the GP2X was attached to my PC using the USB cable.

Therefore, if the SD card isn't supplying the GP2X properly, then I would have thought this would have
shown when trying to fast forward on the PC, as the card wouldn't have supplied the information from the
GP2X through the USB cable to the PC?

Ya know, I am having the same exact problem only my machine has FrimWare 2.1.0 (With bad dubbing) and it will not fast-foward, just freeze BUT- I get more than 10 minutes into a movie for when whatching SinCity, it decided to stop near the the end part...which was a long while. But yeah thank you for creating this post because I also am looking for a solution. :(

Kagey posted on Feb 1 2007 at 07:56 PM said:
Right at just tried another card.

Still the same problem. :(:(:(:(

Hmmm - crap! :angry:

Only other thing I could suggest now is that you try Pocket Divx Encoder:

http://divx.ppccool.com/

It's free and quick so it won't cost you any time or money to try it :) All the stuff I have converted on it has played/FF'd OK.

Other than this it will be a question of possibly tweaking your RAM and CPU settings. Over-clocking may solve it (?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than this it will be a question of possibly tweaking your RAM and CPU settings. Over-clocking may solve it (?)

Hmmm. Overclocking is a whole world I've not been to yet. I think I understand the basics of CPU clock speed increasing, but dividers, RAM timings etc scare me. :huh: :blink:

Out of interest, why would I need to overclock to solve a problem that works for many on standard settings? Looks like I've a lot to learn on this machine. :unsure:

Back