Can't download "Unknown Horizons" via pnd Manager (general filesize problem ?)

thatgui

Advanced Member
I have a somewhat strange problem:

If I try to download "Unknown Horizons" via PNDManager the download stopps after about 60MB to 70MB are downloaded. I tried it three times already and rebooted in between. The network connection is stable and PNDManager seems to work as while the download stalls I'm still able to use PNDManager and download other pnds.

As I was able to download other big pnds in the past without problem (codeblocks, libreoffce) I did not think it is a file size problem. But as it occours to me now, it is indeed one. To rule out size as a possible source I deleted the TexLive pnd I downloaded several days ago and tried to download it again, with the same outcome: after ca. 70MB the download just stopps.

Anyone else experiencing this ?

May be there is a timeout that is set to low since the upgrade of the repo?

I've seen another user having trouble downloading LibreOffice, with PNDManager or a PC, and had to fall back using a mirror instead.

As noted in the 'Widelands' release thread, I've found this issue too.

I don't think I've downloaded anything else from the repo of this size since the update, and it fails every time between 60-90mb, on my pandora with any browswer.

No problems downloading much larger files from other sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me PNDManager fully downloads Unknown Horizons, but doesn't install it due to a md5 checksum error. Haven't yet compared the file to a manual download, but it seems that either PNDManager somehow corrupts large downloads or the repo provides wrong checksums (resp. other meta data)?

Edit: Have now downloaded the PND using dillo/wget and the length is identical, but

Code:
$ cmp unknown_horizons_ptitseb*
unknown_horizons_ptitseb.pnd unknown_horizons_ptitseb_browser.pnd differ: char 78970873, line 27265
That these differ at a position of around 80MB into the file corresponds quite nicely to the other reports. I'll take a closer look what the actual difference is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, wxHexeditor on the Pandora is really useful:)

Thera are about 20 differences where one file has the (probably) correct content and the other has this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>200 OK</title>
</head><body>
<h1>OK</h1>
<p>The server encountered an internal error or
misconfiguration and was unable to complete
your request
</p>
<p>Please contact the server administrator [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred,
and anything you might have done that may have.caused the error
</p>
<p>More information about this error may be available
in the server error log
</p>
<hr>
<address>Apache Server at repo.openpandora.org Port 80</address>
</body></html>

But the most important thing is: both files - one downloaded through PNDManager, the other through wget - have these!

But only PNDManager checks the result and fails (unfortunately without a clear message to the user).

I've checked all my PNDs:

$ grep "<title>200 OK</title>" *

Binary file wesnoth-1.11.pnd matches

Binary file widelands.pnd matches

Binary file ygopro_ptitseb.pnd matches

These were downloaded through browser or wget, because the limited download speed in PNDManager was too slow for me.

There is obviously something very wrong with the repo, but my limited Apache/PHP know how gives me no idea what may be wrong, since the server definitely sends the right amount of bytes, but (randomly?) replaces some after the first 75MB with the funny 200 OK internal error above.

Furthermore there are probably a lot of broken PNDs out there without anybody noticing! The three ones above actually do seem to run fine for me, but surely there must be some problems somewhere. A next revision of the PND spec should definitely include protection against file corruption (since not all PNDs get downloaded by PNDManager).

I can't think of any more I could test from the client.

I've had the same problems with Widelands and Tong - they start downloading, but when they reach the end they stop and fail to update. When I restart them, they report that only half has downloaded... But the filesize is now reported as being twice what it was previously and no further downloading happens.

Annoying.

D.

Hmm, just downloaded Widelands with my browser off the repo - no issue here :/
I can't download it with PND manager - as I say, it freezes and disappears from the download list and when I retry it states that it's 50% done with a filesize twice that of the one reported on the repo.

This also happens with Tong.

D.

I've tried to download the last 2 updates of Widelands (I had downloaded earlier releases just fine, and equally large pnds) maybe 8-10 times, 3 different browsers on Pandora, fails every time before passing 92mb.

So it happens only when downloading with the Pandora, but not on the PC?

Regardless whether you are using wget, PNDManager or a browser?

That sounds weird... will try to download it now.

Yes, only on Pandora, any method. In my case Widelands was the only sizeable pnd I tried, so I can't say if it applies to anything of such size, but I'm guessing it does.

Hmm, just downloaded Widelands with my browser off the repo - no issue here :/
I think part of the problem might be the header that is getting attached to the file? causing pnd manager to fail its MD5 checksum... at least I think thats what is being said in this thread.

Downloaded with Qupzilla on the Pandora, worked fine as well.

Same issue with the repo though. How does PNDManager download?

Back