Can we *please* have a sticky about Windows? (Lack thereof)

PhonicUK

Website
www.phonicuk.com
As the P&|a becomes more widespread, the number of threads from people asking if Windows (Apps) will run - risks outnumbering useful posts.

Perhaps a sticky thread called "No, Windows or WINE will never run on the Pandora - Here's why..." with the usual information about differing architectures and how even if Windows could run it would be useless because programs are compiled for x86. Perhaps a note that old DOS games can be emulated but that is likely the limit.

It still baffles me though, that the first question from people who aren't intimate with open source is "Can it run Windows?" I don't get it :| Why would you even want to? The whole point of the P&|A for me is that it breaks the shackles of the x86 architecture to do something more and something greater.

Its funny how when the PSP homebrew came about, even newbies to that scene didn't ask "Can it run Windows?"

I do think that because of the P&|As resemblance to a net book or laptop that the "No Windows" bit needs more emphasis - not in a patronizing manner.

However - maybe we should look at it, not as "The Pandora cannot run Windows" but more that "Windows is unable to run on the Pandora".

Thats my quota of ranting for today.

well not everyone is in the loop with knowledge (although really why they would pick the pandora, not knowing the basics is beyond me) i really dont see why people get irate with noob questions. you wouldnt shout and flame someone for asking for directions in the street :lol: its either their common sense or its not... other wise the forum would be bogged down with stickies saying... "the pandora is not a sandwich toaster" etc

i can see why you would want a sticky but maybe a general FAQ is in order with common silly questions.
maybe make this thread about the kindve new member/new purchaser questions that might crop up and answer them before they get posted.
such as simple specs, links to emulators and decent applications, tutorials on how to do something specific... might be a bit more creative and constructive in the long run.

i think posting about architechture differences to a person who has just asked if a linux portable will run windows might be a little over their heads though

Trevsweb said:
I really dont see why people get irate with noob questions.

Mainly because they come up too often. Having to answer the same question over and over again will strain peoples patience. Especially when the same information is so easy to find with a single search.

Trevsweb said:
you wouldnt shout and flame someone for asking for directions in the street

Indeed I wouldn't - however I might get a bit irate if lots of people kept asking me for directions when there is a map directly behind them.

Trevsweb said:
i think posting about architechture differences to a person who has just asked if a linux portable will run windows might be a little over their heads though

People understand that you can't play a Playstation game on a Nintendo Wii, explaining it in those kind of terms makes it entirely trivial.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=835 <-- what i meant is, it is already stickied here under the FAQs.
You can't expect 2 pages of stickies just for FAQs.

If they prefer to enter all the fields to create an account just to ask a question already in FAQs there's nothing you can do.

Well maybe they could make a FAQ sticky to the wiki link.

PhonicUK said:
Trevsweb said:
I really dont see why people get irate with noob questions.

Mainly because they come up too often. Having to answer the same question over and over again will strain peoples patience.
Well, actually, having to read the same question over and over strains people's patience. No one's forcing anyone to answer them. But flaming turns more people off faster.

Back