Can We *please* Have A Sticky About Windows? (lack Thereof)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhonicUK

Website
www.phonicuk.com
As the P&|a becomes more widespread, the number of threads from people asking if Windows (Apps) will run risks outnumbering useful posts.

Perhaps a sticky thread called "No, Windows or WINE will never run on the Pandora - Here's why..." with the usual information about differing architectures and how even if Windows could run it would be useless because programs are compiled for x86. Perhaps a note that old DOS games can be emulated but that is likely the limit.

It still baffles me though, that the first question from people who aren't intimate with open source is "Can it run Windows?" I don't get it :| Why would you even want to? The whole point of the P&|A for me is that it breaks the shackles of the x86 architecture to do something more and something greater.

Its funny how when the PSP homebrew came about, even newbies to that scene didn't ask "Can it run Windows?"

I do think that because of the P&|As resemblance to a net book or laptop that the "No Windows" bit needs more emphasis - not in a patronizing manner.

However - maybe we should look at it, not as "The Pandora cannot run Windows" but more that "Windows is unable to run on the Pandora".

Thats my quota of ranting for today.

I think that the reason people ask if the P can run windows apps is because, once they learn that it can run 'anything', not just the apps that Sony/Nintendo/whoever tell them it can run, they immediately think that includes running Windows.

Plus the fact that the P looks very much like a mini-laptop would go some distance to them thinking the above. I mean, even if if the PSP was able to run Windows, could you imagine trying to use it in any effective manner without a keyboard?

I agree to a sticky post about the P not being able to run Windows apps too. So, +1

Not needed in my opinion. Better create a sticky about the Pandora wiki and its FAQ - new users should read it. If more topics pop up just link to the FAQ and wait for a mod to lock the topic.
//Edit: Oh we have that already..

i doubt it'll do any good. the idiots that think it'll run windows, are the same idiots that'll never read stickys...
it might be worth a try, but besides giving you another weapon to flame them with, it probably won't change anything

If you want to create a topic stating exactly that, feel free. PM me a link to the topic and I'll make it sticky.

After all, there's no harm in trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back