Can The Pandora Be Dumbed Down Into Being A...

PandoraLox

Still Fresh
Just a thought, but personally I don't do as much random PC gaming as I used to due to the fact that my old USB Nostromo controller is dead and while going out & buying another one would be an option - I just realized that well... the Pandora being the oober super device that it is, what if it can be dumbed down into being a mere USB controller for a Windows or Linux system.

Assuming the gaming controls will be as nice as they will be - was just wondering how soon would one be able to dumb this device down into being a mere gaming controller (or is it too smart and intelligent for being used in such a way :p ). Would assume that programming drivers for the keys/gaming controls of this device + a program on host computer that'll allow configuration for the Pandy controller would be the main requirements to pan out such a possibility.

...again juuuuuuust a (tempting seductive) thought ^_^

You want to spend 330 on a gaming controller? Sure, it can be done, but I'm sure it would function a lot nicer as a 330 dollar paperweight, doorstop, weapon, etc.

well the PSP is capable of beeing dumbed down to a wifi PC gamepad, so I'm sure it's possible to do the same with the pandora.
it would be a nice little extra to have for when you are home in need of a gamepad :D

I'd go for wifi or bluetooth. I'd not only use it as a gamepad but also as IR for my vdr :D

anexanhume said:
You want to spend 330 on a gaming controller? Sure, it can be done, but I'm sure it would function a lot nicer as a 330 dollar paperweight, doorstop, weapon, etc.
Well, actually my first priority would be to have this replace my Cowon D2 seeing how this thing multimedia-wise is all I could ever hope for - additionally emulating PSOne, SNES, and doing maybe 65-75% of what I would do on a Linux desktop are also greatness extras that I'd be drooling over. Surely me hoping for a mere extra doesn't mean I would forget about all these neat things and leave it at home to be ONLY a game controller :rolleyes:

But on the real - now that others mention it I think using Wifi or Bluetooth would be even better since I'm not 100% all that sure about having the USB plug overtime staying put in the Pandora while gaming and the random movements + extra tear I'd put on the port itself (bad experience with devices that had the USB ports in the device wear out over time). Plus as pointed out by conso.. I could imagine the flexibility of having this work as a wireless swiss army knife remote of sorts. Of course... those that'd only wanna use this thing as a gaming/multimedia device then please by all means excuse my hyperactive imagination :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
For $330 you could get a bunch of really nice controllers. Think about this the controller parts in the Pandora add up to around $25 or so, not counting the touch screen.

I'd rather buy a really nice mouse, keyboard, dual-analog game pad, and force-feedback wheel. All those together would probably be cheaper than a Pandora.

For $330 you could get a bunch of really nice controllers. Think about this the controller parts in the Pandora add up to around $25 or so, not counting the touch screen.

I'd rather buy a really nice mouse, keyboard, dual-analog game pad, and force-feedback wheel. All those together would probably be cheaper than a Pandora.

I think what he's saying is that, I he's going to get it anyway, why not get a little gravy on the side? So rather than buying all that (or if he buys all that anyway) I would be cool to whip out your pandora and use it as a wireless game controller B)

I think it would be awesome, is anyone working on something like that?

Just wanted to add my funny cometary.

Can a Porsche be used in a destruction derby?

Well yes, I suppose it could be, the question is WHY?

ZenFinder said:

I think what he's saying is that, I he's going to get it anyway, why not get a little gravy on the side? So rather than buying all that (or if he buys all that anyway) I would be cool to whip out your pandora and use it as a wireless game controller B)

Anyone who has used a DS or PSP as a controller can tell you they are horrible compared to a dedicated controller. The idea is good with the LCD for custom HUD but in practice they never work as well as a dedicated controller.

So good idea? Yes. Practical? Not really.

Using the Pandora as a XBMC controller for the xbox should be interesting the PSP does it so im sure the Pandora will handle it fine. I'm more interested in seeing what emus/apps will be improved in performance over the GP2x

ZenFinder said:

EXAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACTLY!!! B)

Too bad my ability to code for hardware is nowhere near visualizing how to do web coding otherwise I'd be vowing wireless Pandy controller for all :unsure:
Of course many of the apps & emu ports should come as first priority (like Firefox 3 & MAME) but again, this should be a nice extra project for anyone who have any spare time within the spare time .

IceBerg303 said:

Anyone who has used a DS or PSP as a controller can tell you they are horrible compared to a dedicated controller. The idea is good with the LCD for custom HUD but in practice they never work as well as a dedicated controller.

Well... I would imagine that a Porsche would be - in the worst case - be rendered useless after a destruction derby, and at the very least be very unsightly to look at with dents & broken head/taillights and hanging bumper. Surely a moment of gaming on the Pandora wouldn't render it useless or leave it dented & bruised up unless one plays a frustrating game and slams it down on the ground repeatedly :lol:

Also, I would imagine this doing the job of being a controller much better then a DS or PSP due to the dual directional pads and other fun stuff. Only after getting a real feel of this thing would I get an idea of how it'll feel compare to a real joypad. So far the only real advantages I could imagine a real dedicated controller having is being a tad more comfy after heavy gaming, and being lighter then the Pandy.

Actual helpful response (instead of bashing the idea): VNC. Install a vnc client and use the controls as if they were connected to the host computer. Use a program such as PPJoy to map the gaming controls to a virtual gamepad.

I agree, though. I don't game enough at home to buy a dedicated controller, but using the pandy as one would be quite awesome when I want to play on the big screen

Pandora's Lox said:
IceBerg303 said:

Well... I would imagine that a Porsche would be - in the worst case - be rendered useless after a destruction derby, and at the very least be very unsightly to look at with dents & broken head/taillights and hanging bumper. Surely a moment of gaming on the Pandora wouldn't render it useless or leave it dented & bruised up unless one plays a frustrating game and slams it down on the ground repeatedly :lol:

Also, I would imagine this doing the job of being a controller much better then a DS or PSP due to the dual directional pads and other fun stuff. Only after getting a real feel of this thing would I get an idea of how it'll feel compare to a real joypad. So far the only real advantages I could imagine a real dedicated controller having is being a tad more comfy after heavy gaming, and being lighter then the Pandy.

You obviously have not seen the way I brutally throw controllers into walls when I get peeved at a game. The Porsche after a derby would probably look much better.

Unless... maybe there will be a custom titanium case made just for me, or course it would need and external wifi antenna connector.

Hey, I asked the exact same thing about the GP2X (the GP used an external USB module that could act like just about anything, which is how the LAN over USB works on the GP2X).

My reasons were more along the lines of use as an Xbox (and now of course xbox360 controller).

In that you could save combos, or read a walkthrough on your controller (uh oh, couldn't do that or nintendo might sue you because it would be a DS ;) ).

Graphically programming combos would be neat, say linking together speed runs into the ultimate cheat speed run. Better would be using it to break the "parental lock" 4-digit password that somebody sets and forgets and nobody can watch a movie that isn't rated, as opposed to an "un-rated" movie. Using some form of script to run through all of the numbers until it unlocked it would be cool.

Even better would be mimicking the actual memory card of the xbox and using it to hack game saves in real time on the pandora.

I am very interested in knowing the feasibility of this sort of hack as well, but I am afraid that since the only real chip on the board AFAIK is the OMAP, it probably wasn't meant for this sort of hacking.

I would point you to some kick-ass USB to gamepad controllers: http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/usb_game12/index_en.php

Or even the DIY 8-button 4-direction USB controller. ($20 is pretty reasonable for his board assembled. you can probably flash it to support any of his USB controller projects, it is a generic micro Atmega board)

http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/electronique_en.php

I personally just moved the left joystick on my PSX Dual shock up into the dpad area and use a similar atmega circuit to convert up to two psx pads into usb controllers. When I am not use the PSX Digital pad with the circuit of a Microsoft Sidewinder inside the left handgrip that is. Pure hardware hacking, completely compatible with USB HID* specs :).

Of course the Bluetooth guys make an excellent point, this can be made wireless for sure, if you care to look up some software that will change the ID to a controller and push bits that act as HID buttons or axis (axii??) when you work the Pandora's controls.

*(HID is Human Interface Device)

I think it would be cool to use it not only for gaming on the pc, but for a mouse and keyboard for when laying in bed like my lazy ass :D . But all in all, if you really want a good gaming controller just do what I did and buy a usb multitap, not like the regular one, I couldn't get one of those to work so I have no clue if it will work or not with drivers or something else. But I bought an off brand one online to use for playstation emulation. And ever since I've been using it on every fps, etc... Even Fable, it worked quite well.

even better, we could run something similar to PCtoDS in which the computer displays to the Pandora over bluetooth/wifi, and you could use pandora to control it, thus making tf2 possible on the pandora. Then you could play tf2 anywhere there is a wifi connection, as long as your computer was on.
mmmmmm.
edit-the name of the software is win2ds.
download link.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=1834

Back