Can someone recap things this far?

Scumbag

Still Fresh
Iv been lurking Pandora forums for a long while and i haven't got any clear image on where Pandora successor stands : (

There might be some other people also plus new people who have found they're way in here so IMO it would be nice to have some kind of "up-to-date" on whats happening.

If there already is something like this and iv missed it, then sorry for my ignorance. I'll try to keep my eyes more open.

Outside of EvilDragon saying he wants to make a successor and a bunch of ideas being thrown around there is nothing solid. I'd say it's still a few years away.

These are all the facts we know about the successor to the Panora:

• There will be a Pandora successor. Maybe. Or maybe there won't be.
  • It will have a completely different name, EvilDragon wants to distance himself from the mess. Or maybe it won't. But it probably will.
  • It will be about the same size as the current Pandora, maybe a little bit bigger, but the one thing ED has been pretty firm about is that it remain a pocketable device.
  • It will have a better processor than currently. That'll be ARM. or x86. But probably ARM. Unless it's x86.
  • It will have 2 3 2 64 2 micro fullsized mini fullsized and 1 micro SD slot. Or it will have something completely different. Maybe.
  • It will have a screen of some size that may or may not be a touch screen powered by either resistive tech or capacitive.
  • It will have speakers maybe, or the speakers will be removed for a headphone only experience. Or magic will be involved.
  • It will have a battery.
  • It will have some kind of TV out that will be dictated by the abilities of the SoC chosen.
I think that covers everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

• It will have a completely different name, EvilDragon wants to distance himself from the mess. Or maybe it won't. But it probably will.
  • It will be about the same size as the current Pandora, maybe a little bit bigger, but the one thing ED has been pretty firm about is that it remain a pocketable device.
  • It will have a better processor than currently. That'll be ARM. or x86. But probably ARM. Unless it's x86.
  • It will have 2 3 2 64 2 micro fullsized mini fullsized and 1 micro SD slot. Or it will have something completely different. Maybe.
  • It will have a screen of some size that may or may not be a touch screen powered by either resistive tech or capacitive.
  • It will have speakers maybe, or the speakers will be removed for a headphone only experience. Or magic will be involved.
  • It will have some kind of TV out that will be dictated by the abilities of the SoC chosen.
LMAO.  As solid as hydrogen gas :)

That's pretty much what i recon from reading the posts. Sad that there's not yet anything solid other than battery :D

I'll still be keeping my hopes up that we will see a successor to Pandora and that all goes well with it.

Cheers all and thanks for swift answer. Over and out. o7

There was some talking between ED and Exophase if they want to use the Intel Z3770 or the Texas Instruments Omap5. ED wanted to use the Omap5 since almost all apps from the repo would run out of the box. Exo liked the intel cpu better, since it all facts about power consumation etc are on the table and it is very fast (but x86, so we would have a seperate repo). Currently there is a discussion about making the cpu changeable via daugtherboards.

ED is interested in long-term availability and support for the parts. He is looking in the direction of slower-moving markets like the automotive industry for sourcing parts, not the fast-paced smartphone industry. So when you're speculating about the SoC or screen, don't think only about what's in current or next gen smartphones.

I remember some talk about experimenting with new carbon fiber based case materials. I also remember ED saying he likes 1280x720 as a screen resolution. Other than that I wouldn't expect too many changes; ED is a careful and conservative guy, he's not going to change stuff for no reason.

ED is interested in long-term availability and support for the parts. He is looking in the direction of slower-moving markets like the automotive industry for sourcing parts, not the fast-paced smartphone industry. So when you're speculating about the SoC or screen, don't think only about what's in current or next gen smartphones.

I remember some talk about experimenting with new carbon fiber based case materials. I also remember ED saying he likes 1280x720 as a screen resolution. Other than that I wouldn't expect too many changes; ED is a careful and conservative guy, he's not going to change stuff for no reason.
I suppose, but it's going to be years before this happens as he's not going to want to piss off the people buying the current generation of Pandora now, and anyways there's plenty of debt that really needs to be paid off with the current run.

But, in terms of what I think you're talking about, I think you're right. He's likely to choose an architecture that's compatible with the current one if possible. And I would expect the P2 to be an evolutionary step, so more RAM, faster GPU and CPU and probably higher resolution display. I'm not sure what else they could do other than increase battery life. The original Pandy was awfully good, so it's going to be hard to top without throwing it all away and starting over again.

If what rohezal said is true then it would be nice since it can serve both x86 fanboys and ARM fanboys.... :)

Two separate repos then two separate repos.  One for x86 and one for ARM.  They don't have to have the same apps, mostly the same would be good.  If a user likes a particular app that can run on x86 only then he will buy the x86 P2 and vice versa.  For me, I will own both versions though :)

If what rohezal said is true then it would be nice since it can serve both x86 fanboys and ARM fanboys.... :)

Two separate repos then two separate repos.  One for x86 and one for ARM.  They don't have to have the same apps, mostly the same would be good.  If a user likes a particular app that can run on x86 only then he will buy the x86 P2 and vice versa.  For me, I will own both versions though :)
I dislike that. Fragmentation in a handheld market the size of Pandora's is something that we really need to avoid. We have some as there's a couple different amounts of RAM and a couple different clockspeeds, but most apps do just fine with those. We do not need to introduce the complication of different binaries to the mix.

Invariably one or the other will wind up being the target of most activity leaving the other one to be somewhat lesser. It didn't happen with the Pandy, in large part because most applications didn't need the power that the 1ghz unit provides and I generally run mine clocked back most of the times anyways.

I would however love to see them update the screen with better touch technology, but I think that's probably still covered by patents.

Back