Can anyone test some software for me in WINE under Fedora?

Blue Protoman

I had initially given up on running Linux on my laptop; then I heard that Debian and derivatives have issues with various Dell laptops (which mine is)! So I decided to get Fedora in the near future, as it's not based on Debian. I still need to test it off a USB drive, though. But first, I'd like to know whether some software for Windows will work via WINE (with a few exceptions) under the latest Fedora release (alternatives are mostly ok, too);

-Customer Database Pro (This particular program is a priority!)

-A PND builder of some kind (preferably native, though if I had to I'd use PNDTools in WINE) This works.

-Code::Blocks (native)

-PSGUI v3.00

-File Uploader

-Sfxr (It's open source, maybe I could throw a port together, possibly for Pandora)

-GXSCC

-Hjsplit

-TurboRip

-Jdownloader

-GlovePIE

-DiscJuggler or some other image-burning software (MUST be able to burn Dreamcast and Saturn games)

-Tron 2.0

-Sega Saturn Region Patcher

-Sega Cue Maker

I know there's a database of programs on the WINE site, but not all of them are up to date or contain entries for Fedora. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help with too much here as I don't use Fedora, but the creator of this PND builder says that it works under WINE, so you might well be sorted there.

Use VMware, VirtualBox or a live cd and just try it out.

[edit]

-Hjsplit, Jdownloader, these seem to be have native Linux versions, you wouldn't need WINE.

[/edit]

Oops, forgot to mention that some of these DO have native Linux ports, but I'm unsure if they'd work. All distros are not created equal.

Argh, Fedora won't install, either. Rather than freezing, though, the installer just cuts me to the desktop. (When used as a Live USB image, of course.) I'm running out of options here.

I think my laptop is adamant in making sure that I don't run Linux. I tried Fedora's official LiveUSB creator, had no luck installing, and Damn Small Linux wouldn't even boot off a flash drive.

The issue, though, is INSTALLING it.
So you can boot, but the actual installer program itself (Ubiquity on Ubuntu, Anaconda on Fedora) has issues?

You could try Arch Linux, as the installer is just a set of bash scripts - be warned, however, that it's not very "friendly," but the Arch site has a lot of good documentation if your hardware is not particularly unusual.

Try debian before arch I say, doesn't have the ubuntu rubbish they've added, but graphical installer is pretty useful now, won't working wireless net though

I HAVE tried installing Debian, but that didn't work either. If I recall, it wouldn't even boot via USB.

Note to self; get new computer for college, one that runs Linux standard.

Good luck getting anything with linux on it already :p dells really should boot derpian though, seeing as they had the option of ubuntu as stock for a while. But really, usb booting is hairy at best

Doesn't Windows add to the cost of many computers? I need a laptop, not a desktop...

Back