Calibre on pandora?

Luvarim

I packed yesterday evening my bags for holidays and took my pandora and my kindle with me. When i was searching through my kindle library i thought how nice it would be to have a mobile version of the calibre program with me. I looked at the calibre forum and there was allready a thread about porting it to the pandora. Does somebody know if such a port ever happened?
Calibre is open source and the author of the program seems to like the idea.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-141085.html

Ps. Please excuse my bad english im not used to it.

Not sure what features you are looking for in particular, but with FBReader and CoolReader there are already 2 ebook readers with advanced functionality available. Maybe one of those can will suffice?

Calibre isn't really usefull on the mobile device itself... it's better on your own computer and just use a light reader on the pandora...

Calibre isn't really an ebook reader - It is an ebook cataloguing, converting, editing and transfering tool. I like Coolreader, but it really isn't anything near the same thing.

Calibre isn't really an ebook reader - It is an ebook cataloguing, converting, editing and transfering tool. I like Coolreader, but it really isn't anything near the same thing.
definately, but I don't see it as really useful on a mobile device...

A plugin for Calibre to recognize the Pandora as an eBook reader would make more sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
definately, but I don't see it as really useful on a mobile device...
Well, I don't know - In the general quest of transferring ones complete electronic life to the Pandora, I don't see Calibre as being less useful than something like Libreoffice or the big programming IDE things. 

I think you guys are missing the point. Th OP doesn't want to use Calibre as a e-book reader because he already has a Kindle. The OP wants to use Calibre to maintain his book library for transferring to his Kindle on the go. This is a good idea, IMO. 

To answer the original question. No, no one has successfully ported this to the Pandora. 

The port does not look like a simple PND and go operation. It's Python, which is good, because Python is easier to port than some other languages. However, even the developer says, "WARNING: calibre is a highly complex piece of software with lots of very finicky dependencies. If you install from source, you are on your own. Please do not open bug reports or expect any form of support. You have been warned." Which doesn't bode well. 

A cursory look at the dependencies suggests that there is no reason why it can't be made to work on the Pandora, but it would take some effort. 

i checked before and its a lot of work. We have to set priorities too, as porters and developers. Calibre is not high priority for anyone as far as I know.
Yes, but perhaps someone could be motivated by a bounty, like in the OpenSCAD case:)

I think you guys are missing the point. Th OP doesn't want to use Calibre as a e-book reader because he already has a Kindle. The OP wants to use Calibre to maintain his book library for transferring to his Kindle on the go. This is a good idea, IMO. 

To answer the original question. No, no one has successfully ported this to the Pandora.
hum, you are right, through I personally won't use that like that, I've enough months worth of reading on my nook and I use calibre only on my computer...

Back