Cable -> Maximum Rating Of 600 Vac

Should be ok. Im an electrician but i am not 100% sure if it will be ok but it should be :p dont deal with much DC. What are you getting 600v DC from and what current is it carrying?

dont know but voltage dosnt really matter its the current that matters. I mean if you look in your house different things are wired in different sizes of cables like 1.5mm for lights 2.5mm or 4mm for sockets and stuff cookers and showers n that will be between 6mm and 15mm. All things run on a 240v supply (in UK anyway) so its just the current (A) that increases teh size of cable needed.

But since V=IR to increse the current, I = V/R, the resistance must be as small as possible. Hence, as a small cable provides greater resistance to increase the current you must just simply increase the size of the cable, providing less resistance and hence providing a higher current?

I'm pretty sure that AC would require LESS voltage rating, because of its sine-wave nature. It passes from the max voltage (peak) to the NEGATIVE peak and back to the positive peak X cycles per second (e.g. 60hz passes from + to - peaks 60 times a second). Whereas DC is a sustained voltage at the peak value at all times. This is why AC is measured in different ways-- peak (Positive peak to 0V), peak-to-peak (full difference of voltage between + and - peaks) and VRMS (root mean square).

Thanks for all of your input everyone. To answer on what i'm doing with this, I need to power a small remotely operated underwater vehicle via a tether and need to spec cable that will withstand the environment (seawater, 100 metres depth, etc.) and these specs I believe for 600 VAC. Cheers

Back