Caanoo Sometimes Breaks Filesystem On My Sd Card

neurocyp

Still Fresh
Website
picasaweb.google.com
Hi,
I'm not sure if it is only problem with my unit, or it is some kind of a general issue.
I have firmware 1.6.0, and sometimes, I notice, that my caanoo makes the filesystem broken. fsck.vfat complains about APPS and GAME dir is not linked to root directory.
Luckyly I have backups, but I just lost all my metalslug save states :(

I think this occurs when I close the unit, after doing some saves, perhaps, system does not "sync" filesesytems before reboot?

lenrlad said:
I had to reformat my 8gb SD card several times ago because of a broken fat32 filesystem. So now I do dally backups of my sd. ;)

Didn't had any problems so far, if you encounter a broken fat32 filesystem, it's often not necessary to format the card, if you are on Windows, go to the command prompt and run chkdsk with the following parameters:

chkdsk [Letter of sd card]: /x /f /r

In most cases this will repair the card. I am familiar with corrupted cards from dmenu on the Dingoo, using chkdsk worked like charm every time, the card was meesed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh jeez, don't tell me the Caanoo is starting to develop THAT issue now..

lnx64 said:
Oh jeez, don't tell me the Caanoo is starting to develop THAT issue now..

As it was a software issue, clearly related to dmenu in Dingux, my guess is, it is also a problem of a specific program and not of the Caanoo itself.

CKeichel said:
lenrlad said:
I had to reformat my 8gb SD card several times ago because of a broken fat32 filesystem. So now I do dally backups of my sd. ;)

Didn't had any problems so far, if you encounter a broken fat32 filesystem, it's often not necessary to format the card, if you are on Windows, go to the command prompt and run chkdsk with the following parameters:

chkdsk [Letter of sd card]: /x /f /r

In most cases this will repair the card. I am familiar with corrupted cards from dmenu on the Dingoo, using chkdsk worked like charm every time, the card was meesed up.
I've running linux, but okay.
The problem is, that I've broken my filesystem and then made a backup. So all files (not really all, but many) were corrupted. And my system marked the SDcard as "read-only".
But yeah, it's okay. I now have a backup wich works.

lenrlad

If I forgot to unmount my Caanoo before disconnecting the USB it screws up my SD, the following command removes the read-only lock on the affected files

sudo dosfsck -aw /dev/sdb

Just curious, I'm trying to track how the cards get corrupted, cause so far I'm not seeing any issue myself personally.

Use Gmenu? Overclock? What brand and size of card? Purchased from a reliable store?

Reason I ask about the card is because, a LOT of fake cards are on eBay, a LOT. I once got a Sandisk 4GB card that kept requiring a format. Took it apart and it was a 1GB chip, and was a fake Sandisk imposter..

lnx64 said:
Just curious, I'm trying to track how the cards get corrupted, cause so far I'm not seeing any issue myself personally.

Use Gmenu? Overclock? What brand and size of card? Purchased from a reliable store?

Reason I ask about the card is because, a LOT of fake cards are on eBay, a LOT. I once got a Sandisk 4GB card that kept requiring a format. Took it apart and it was a 1GB chip, and was a fake Sandisk imposter..

I use a 8GB Transced class 10 card and bought from amazon. I only overclock in mame, gpsp and drpocketsnes, but I think this doesn't affect the filesystem. I personally have broken a 2GB microSD by removing while writing access. And two 16GB cards in the cardreader of my eeepc. And yes, an overheated USB stick. The last two recently break their fat filesystem. :(

Well overclocking a system can affect a filesystem easily. I looked over the Pollux datasheet, and it looks like overclocking the CPU core could result in a faulty sync to the SD card (as that clock seems to get affected too) and in theory could cause it.

I don't overclock, not even in gpsp, but I don't run many heavy games.

Back