Question About Directory Structures On Sd Card

tobor

Still Fresh
Hello. I just got my GP2X Wiz and I'm just trying to get things set up and running. I have a bit of an OCD-based question about how files are organized on the SD card. I am sharing a 4GB card with my Wiz and my Nintendo DS Acekard (it's clash of the homebrew over here). Ideally, I want to structure the contents so that, as they grow, things don't get too chaotic, and I can differentiate between the different sets of files; unfortunately, it seems that it's near impossible to avoid having apps require some content existing at the root.

As far as Wiz games and applications go, if there is an .ini file, I know I can move the files to a subdirectory of my choice and modify the corresponding .ini file. That's great. What I'm not clear on is how the built-in GP2X apps handle files. I notice I have the following directories in the root of my SD card: comic, flash, game, movie, music, and photo. Are these automatically created when I open the corresponding app in my GP2X menu? If so, I assume these apps' behaviour has them looking in those root directories for contents, and if none exists, it will create them. Can this be reconfigured to something such as wiz/flash or wiz/photo instead?

I think having a "clean" set of DS/acekard-related files is a lost cause, but based on searches I've done here, it does seem possible to place all GP2X content in a main "wiz" directory at root and branch everything from there.

Can anyone help me understand this? Also, for those of you who are also obsessed with neat directory trees, I wouldn't mind seeing what your preferred structure looks like.

Thanks for reading...

I should've looked harder and done more of my own testing. I found an older F200-related thread that explains what happens: opening the application (e.g., comic reader) automatically creates a corresponding directory (e.g., /comic) at the root if it doesn't exist. The only way to avoid this is to use a custom menu.

Despite this, it seems there's really no way to avoid having DS/Acekard and GP2X files mix at the root of a shared SD card. At the very least, the GP2X /game directory needs to be at root, since the game launcher in the Wiz menu looks there. I assume that's something that cannot be modified.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back