Caanoo Can Run Psx, But Can It Run N64 And Dreamcast At The Same Speed

jamaltbc

Still Fresh
so i see that caanoo, wiz, dingoo can run a psx at a descent speed, but how come it cant run n64 witch has lower graphics or the dreamcast witch is just at the same, if there is such software i would like to know. Also i have seen the OpenPandora run n64 and seen no gp2x's run it, i have seen few psp's witch aren't made to emulate run sonic adventure 2 this makes me very confused.
:pandora2ut4: :gp2x :wiz:

The N64 uses a lot of floating point operations. The GP2x, Wiz/Cannoo and Dingoo don't have floating point units making it extremely difficult to emulate.

Whether or not it can emulate N64 at an acceptable speed in theory, in practice no such emulator exists.

jamaltbc said:
i have seen few psp's witch aren't made to emulate run sonic adventure 2 this makes me very confused.

No handheld hardware was "made to emulate", regardless of if the manufacturer packaged it with emulators or doesn't allow for any homebrew at all. I don't know about these videos you saw of Dreamcast emulation on PSP, but they would either have been very slow or fake.

Last edited by a moderator:
:blink:

I`m surprised you never added Sega Saturn or Nintendo Gamecube into the mix too. :rolleyes:

You may need to read-up about the huge differences between the various systems you mention above, Because they
are vastly different in speed, Graphic and processor capability.

Trooper

I'm certainly no expert on the matter, but anything more powerful than a PSX is definately going to be far too powerful for any portable system for a very long time.

However I have seen the Nokia N900 run Super Mario 64 at a decent speed via a Mupen port:
http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=fSB810LWJ9E&feature=related

Its quite a bit more powerful than the Caanoo though, (I think. It has much more RAM, a 600mhz CPU, and possibly a better GPU (though it does run at a higher resolution of 800x480 (though that probably doesn't account for much...)).

I'd like to think N64 is do-able, (the PSP's N64 emulator Daedalusx64 runs a few games really well. Though that emulator has been built specifically with the PSP's hardware in mind, and must rely on plenty of tricks and fancy code (But don't forget, the PSP has 333mhz cpu and only 32/64mb ram (don't know if the PSP has superior GPU capabilites though.. (plus I heard the PSP handles things similarily to a N64 so thats why its even possible, but don't hold me to that! XD) to work).

I think the main issue is not whether or not it can be done, but whether or not someone wants to do it.
From what I've seen development on the Caanoo has been overshadowed a bit by the Pandora, (shame really as the Caanoo is much cheaper, (plus I don't like the cluttered look of the Pandora's controls (if you want a little computer, buy a damn netbook, or a laptop))).

Plus the fact that these consoles are nowhere near mainstream yet, so popular consoles like PSP and iPhones, (or Androids), are going to naturally get much more attention.

RetroVortex said:
I'm certainly no expert on the matter, but anything more powerful than a PSX is definately going to be far too powerful for any portable system for a very long time.

However I have seen the Nokia N900 run Super Mario 64 at a decent speed via a Mupen port:
http://il.youtube.co...feature=related
http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=fSB810LWJ9E&feature=related

Right, so you see that N64 can be done on current handhelds that aren't top of the line, so why do you say that nothing will be able to handle anything beyond PS1 level?

jamaltbc said:
so i see that caanoo, wiz, dingoo can run a psx at a descent speed, but how come it cant run n64 witch has lower graphics or the dreamcast witch is just at the same, if there is such software i would like to know. Also i have seen the OpenPandora run n64 and seen no gp2x's run it, i have seen few psp's witch aren't made to emulate run sonic adventure 2 this makes me very confused.
:pandora2ut4: :gp2x :wiz:

OpenPandora uses a more powerfull CPU than the Caanoo/Wiz, the first adopts a 600 MHz Cortex A8, the latters adopt a 533 MHz ARM9EJ...

PS: the Dreamcast is impossible to emulate also for the Pandora.

:p ur right but u even see iphones do it, ii really think they need to make a brand u gp2x consil witch can handle alot more

Just to confuse matters ;)

Why can an Xbox360 "emulate" an Xbox (how backward compatibility works) - Yet the PS3 (which Sony say is far more powerful than a 360) can't emulate a PS2 (which is less powerful than an Xbox)?

Work this out and you'll answer all your own questions. :p

ruffnutts said:
N64 for gp2x lol

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,2592

See if it runs faster under ginge lol :D

Maybe with a good code optimization it will be possible to reach 2 or even 3 frames per second! :p

coldfis said:
Just to confuse matters ;)

Why can an Xbox360 "emulate" an Xbox (how backward compatibility works) - Yet the PS3 (which Sony say is far more powerful than a 360) can't emulate a PS2 (which is less powerful than an Xbox)?

Work this out and you'll answer all your own questions. :p
PS3 could run PS2 and PS1 games. Are you talking about emulation or backwards compatibility? The later PS3s dropped the backwards compatibility to be thin, but the non-thin PS3s can run PS2 and PS1 games.

Nincest64 barely emulates enough to handle even the simplest demos, you won't get any commercial games to do anything. It's a real stretch to even call it an N64 emulator.

Gab1975 said:
OpenPandora uses a more powerfull CPU than the Caanoo/Wiz, the first adopts a 600 MHz Cortex A8, the latters adopt a 533 MHz ARM9EJ...

Then what is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXJ0WtWGRLE
I've been able to emulate the Dreamcast on my Sony Vaio PCG laptop with 520MB of RAM and a 533MHz i686 processor (may have been dual core). It was pretty much perfect for most games I've tried.

I've recently used the N64 emulator for PSP. It isn't usable to my standards, though it will run some games... well, at least the games I have.

If you want to play N64 games portably, I suggest you make one of these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv6MW94Xw2k
No emulation problems :p

Com64 said:
Then what is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXJ0WtWGRLE
I've been able to emulate the Dreamcast on my Sony Vaio PCG laptop with 520MB of RAM and a 533MHz i686 processor (may have been dual core). It was pretty much perfect for most games I've tried.

Yes... but the emulation speed is low, when I wrote "it's impossible to emulate" I mean that it's impossible to emulate at good speed (at least 25/30 fps)... :)

Gab1975 said:

Apart from the higher clock speed, in which extend do you think is the Cortex A8 processor used in the Pandora faster then the one used in the Caanoo/Wiz? I think the implemented PowerVR is indeed faster, then the Caanoos (at least it has more features like OpenGL 2.0 or DX10), but the CPU seems pretty comparable to me. As long as the Caanoo is overclocked. But I agree, I don't see a DC emulation (at least not with sound) on the Pandora either and I think the faster GPU would put the Pandora here in front of the Caanoo.

CKeichel said:
Apart from the higher clock speed, in which extend do you think is the Cortex A8 processor used in the Pandora faster then the one used in the Caanoo/Wiz?

Two instructions per clock, hardware FPU, L2 cache, faster RAM, and the expanded instruction set gives somewhat better throughput.

CKeichel said:
Apart from the higher clock speed, in which extend do you think is the Cortex A8 processor used in the Pandora faster then the one used in the Caanoo/Wiz? I think the implemented PowerVR is indeed faster, then the Caanoos (at least it has more features like OpenGL 2.0 or DX10), but the CPU seems pretty comparable to me. As long as the Caanoo is overclocked. But I agree, I don't see a DC emulation (at least not with sound) on the Pandora either and I think the faster GPU would put the Pandora here in front of the Caanoo.

At the same clock speed Pandora's Cortex-A8 is much faster than Wiz's ARM920T. That's because it is:

- Dual issue superscalar, ie can execute two instructions simultaneously, vs the single-issue ARM9
- Has 256KB of L2 cache, this is really huge.. if you look at some numbers of software ran on Pandora with cache disabled they're much slower than with it enabled
- DDR SDRAM is all around wider at 32-bit instead of 16-bit
- Has branch prediction which makes taken branches 1-2 cycles (depending on fetch) instead of 3 on ARM9. On the flip side mispredicted branches take 13 so for some software branches will be slower..
- Has additional instructions, primarily in ARMv6 and NEON.. you usually have to see a program specifically written for it to make a big difference but when it is it can be huge

The L2 cache is probably the single biggest advantage. It's not fair to just compare clock speed between CPUs released several years apart, Cortex-A8 is a full two generations ahead of ARM9.

I'm sure in terms of raw throughput SGX530 is a lot faster in OpenGL 1.1 too, although I don't know just how big of a gap there is.

EDIT: Meh, ninja'd ;p Forgot the FPU too. I'd hardly call it "somewhat" of a difference myself, we've been seeing reports that are more like 2x at same clock..Not surprising when you look at how badly performance usually scales with clock speed when going from GP2X to Wiz, it really needs L2 cache.

CKeichel said:

In plain terms, to compare a Cortex A8 and an ARM9EJ it's almost as to compare a Pentium and a 386DX...

Exophase said:
- Has additional instructions, primarily in ARMv6 and NEON.. you usually have to see a program specifically written for it to make a big difference but when it is it can be huge
I made an option in the mupen64plus dynarec to compile without ARMv6/ARMv7 (so it can theoretically run on Caanoo). The difference was around 2% or so, not huge. Lack of FP/NEON makes a much bigger difference.

Back