Caanoo-2600: Atari 2600 Emulator For Caanoo V1.1.0

zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
caanoo-a2600.jpg

Hi All,

Stella is on of the best emulator of Atari 2600 game console, running on many different systems,
such as Linux, Solaris, Windows, MacOS/X, WinCE, OS/2, GP2X.

It has been written initially by Bradford Mott, see Stella site for details.

Here is a port on Caanoo of the version i've previously ported to Wiz.

I haven't any Caanoo, and i would like to thanks Pedro De quintana for his help
on Caanoo beta-testing !

You may find binary and source code on my blog : http://zx81.zx81.free.fr

Enjoy,

Zx.

Many thanks as always, loved the 2600, loved the Dingoo port of your 2600 emulator.

EDIT: Tried it, runs great, thanks for moving the text a little bit to the right in the directorey screen, now it is better readable, than in the Coleco Emu.

Short question, does the clockspeed setting work on the Caanoo? It's only interesting for Pitfall II, I tried it and it made no difference, so I think, it will only work, when the new firmware is enabling the Wiz-Overclocking, right?

CKeichel said:
Short question, does the clockspeed setting work on the Caanoo? It's only interesting for Pitfall II, I tried it and it made no difference, so I think, it will only work, when the new firmware is enabling the Wiz-Overclocking, right?

the overclock feature doesn't work on caanoo version. when the code/firmware will be available for the caanoo i will then be able to do it for those emus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there still a new version needed to support overclocking, or will the current version overclock with the 1.5 firmware?

BTW, this is an awesome emulator! It's not listed on OpenHandhelds though, so I think there might be a bunch of people who don't know about it.

It seems funny that overclocking would be needed for a modern 533Mhz CPU with 128Mb of DDR to emulate a 1.19Mhz CPU from the late 1970s with 128 Bytes of RAM.

Though I don't doubt that there is a reason behind it.

ozzuneoj said:
It seems funny that overclocking would be needed for a modern 533Mhz CPU with 128Mb of DDR to emulate a 1.19Mhz CPU from the late 1970s with 128 Bytes of RAM.

If you were to create an emulator from the ground up, optimizing it for the platform, then you wouldn't have this problem. When porting an emulator from another platform, you'll usually need more horsepower to run it. When looking at an emulator like this, it doesn't make sense to re-write key portions of the emulator when overclocking can fix the problem.

ozzuneoj said:

Because of the way, the 2600 worked, it is pretty hard to emulate. Nick Montfort and Ian Bogost write something about the difficulties of the platform in their book Racing the Beam. If you are interested in the specific characteristics of the VCS, that are part of the problem emulating this system, take a look at the google books preview of the book.

Can someone explain how I could convert the ROM files into a disk file so that it could be read on this?

goldenegg said:
Is there still a new version needed to support overclocking, or will the current version overclock with the 1.5 firmware?

BTW, this is an awesome emulator! It's not listed on OpenHandhelds though, so I think there might be a bunch of people who don't know about it.

There is no overclocking option in this version. It might be supported in future version

I'm glad this got picked up - after I got my Caanoo a few weeks ago the first place I went was ZX-81's site to see if he'd been doing his usual great job.

The 2600 emulator works sweeeetly, as was expected, so I was surprised it wasn't in the archive yet, but had no doubt it would be eventually.

I love that all of ZX-81's emulators have the same basic menu structure and all are stable.

Incidentally, as I understand it the 2600 had no screen ram (think about that for a second) which made it a nightmare to code for, and I'd imagine it's part of the reason emulators are so hard to code too.

ZX-81, thank you for your continued dedication to the community. It's hugely appreciated. :)

zx-81 said:
goldenegg said:

There is no overclocking option in this version. It might be supported in future version

The only game, that runs to slow is Pitfall II, it would be great to habe it fullspeed, but I don't know if it's worth the effort to put in OC for 1 game ;)

CKeichel said:
The only game, that runs to slow is Pitfall II, it would be great to habe it fullspeed, but I don't know if it's worth the effort to put in OC for 1 game ;)

It's a pretty sweet game ;)

if you want to overclock you may just use/modify the simple shell script i've written for caanoo-hugo (i mean hugo.gpu) and to copy the './pollux_set' from the caanoo-hugo archive.

The script could be :
Code:
#!/bin/sh

./pollux_set "cpuclk=700"
./a2600.gpe
./pollux_set "cpuclk=500"

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

And then modify caanoo-a2600.ini file as follows :
path="/caanoo-a2600/a2600.gpe" -> path="/caanoo-a2600/a2600.gpu"

Back