C64x DSP and SHA-256 ?

Magic Sam

Forever Homebrew
Hi,

Just one little innocent question:

Could the Pandora's 430MHz C64x DSP be used to process SHA-256 hashes ?

Bye and thanks,

Magic Sam

Maybe it could be used for something useful like ssl / tls for https and ssh?

Using the pandora to mine bitcoins would be the biggest waist of time, hardware is too slow to keep up with the ACIS miners that are flooding the market. On top of that the difficulty increases.

If anything you should mine litecoins if you really want to use the pandora to mine.... 

The perf/W of doing it on the DSP could be good if you can get almost everything else turned off.. but who really cares about perf/W for bitmining when your aggregate perf is terrible? A high end CPU will be many times faster than this and a good GPU will be faster than it, that's just going with commodity hardware that's good for more than bitcoins.

I guess I'm glad I asked...

I was hoping it was for something more interesting... like wifi cracking while driving around or something.  Though I'm honestly not sure what use that would have either :p

I'm not sure I understand the interest in mining bitcoins in your pocket...

I guess I'm glad I asked...

I was hoping it was for something more interesting... like wifi cracking while driving around or something.  Though I'm honestly not sure what use that would have either :p

I'm not sure I understand the interest in mining bitcoins in your pocket...
Let me refer you to this post  :)

The perf/W of doing it on the DSP could be good if you can get almost everything else turned off.. but who really cares about perf/W for bitmining when your aggregate perf is terrible? A high end CPU will be many times faster than this and a good GPU will be faster than it, that's just going with commodity hardware that's good for more than bitcoins.

Back