C64

MikeNZ said:
Awakening said:
Merry Christmas!

Could someone name all those games in order please :)

Hopefully these are correct although my memory isn't what it used to be :) ....

1 Law Of The West
2 IK+ (Still my favourite fighting game of all time)
3 Impossible Mission
4 The Last Ninja (Could be the remixed verion)
5 Bubble Bobble
6 Turrican (Not sure if it's Turrican 1 or 2)
7 Wizard Of Wor
8 Gribbly's Day Out (One of the best games ever)
9 Warhawk
10 Jumpman

Hope that helps.
Maybe someone can confirm the couple I'm not 100% sure about?

I think that's "The Last Ninja 2" IIRC. The first one was outdoors only and was pretty easy to control. I remember this one had horrible fighting controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
curses, just entered this thread to post the same info :p , you could have at least got ONE wrong so I could have corrected you :D

oh yeah! turrican 1 and last ninja 2

Awakening said:
MikeNZ said:
Awakening said:
Merry Christmas!

Could someone name all those games in order please :)

Hopefully these are correct although my memory isn't what it used to be :) ....

1 Law Of The West
2 IK+ (Still my favourite fighting game of all time)
3 Impossible Mission
4 The Last Ninja (Could be the remixed verion)
5 Bubble Bobble
6 Turrican (Not sure if it's Turrican 1 or 2)
7 Wizard Of Wor
8 Gribbly's Day Out (One of the best games ever)
9 Warhawk
10 Jumpman

Hope that helps.
Maybe someone can confirm the couple I'm not 100% sure about?

I think that's "The Last Ninja 2" IIRC. The first one was outdoors only and was pretty easy to control. I remember this one had horrible fighting controls.

Your right - now that I've watched it again I'm pretty sure it's Last Ninja 2. I think its the first couple of screens before going outside into the park. I got confused because the music definately sounds like the original Last Ninja 1 Ben Daglish track but remixed (Where did the Matt Gray track go?) The ninja face graphic in the bottom right of the screen looks different to what I remember too.

Check this out.
This game I just pulled off a tape from 1987. It's a game coded by my girlfriends dad back when he still knew how.
Enclosed you'll find:
  • The game (3 different revisions I pulled)
  • The tape I pulled it from in both wav and tap format.
Most of the tape has completely died out by now so it's a miracle it still works :p
The game is called Bomb Byerne (Bomb the Cities) and it's fairly simple but comes with a few hardware-wise instructions:
If you're using the .d64 disk images I created you'll want to do the following:
  1. LOAD"*",8,1
  2. SYS13000
If you're using the tape, you probably know what you're doing, but I will mention that it's encoded with Turbo Tape 64.
The joystick has to be plugged into port #2 and the game consistently uses the SYS13000 address as a starting point.

The last revision of the game is the one named "BB. D.21/4" and you may want to disregard the other versions.

Now for the game:
You control a helicopter that will continually drop on every fly-through on the screen. Within that diminishing upper limit you can go up and down. If you hit a building you die. Your goal is to drop bombs to floor all the buildings on the screen and when you do you advance to the next level. You can only have 1 bomb visible at a time. Every bomb dropped on a building blows up 3 floors. There are a few traps lain around the game mechanics, most of which pertain to cheats implemented, however there's one in particular you need to know about. When you exit the screen to the right, there's a little time where you're completely outside the screen; if you drop a bomb in that time, it will still count and you won't be able to drop another one until that bomb hits the ground.

I hope you enjoy. It wasn't easy getting this one off the tape :)

Hi folks happy christmas/holidays and all that :) , does anyone know how good the SID chip emulation is for music production, will the emulator be able to run the old music programs for some c64/SID goodness :)

deise said:
Hi folks happy christmas/holidays and all that :) , does anyone know how good the SID chip emulation is for music production, will the emulator be able to run the old music programs for some c64/SID goodness :)

Well, it's VICE - which is known to be the most accurate C64 emulator. Check out the Win / Linux version, the sound emulation on the Pandora is exactly the same :)

Last edited:
zhasha said:
Now for the game:
You control a helicopter that will continually drop on every fly-through on the screen. Within that diminishing upper limit you can go up and down. If you hit a building you die. Your goal is to drop bombs to floor all the buildings on the screen and when you do you advance to the next level. You can only have 1 bomb visible at a time. Every bomb dropped on a building blows up 3 floors. There are a few traps lain around the game mechanics, most of which pertain to cheats implemented, however there's one in particular you need to know about. When you exit the screen to the right, there's a little time where you're completely outside the screen; if you drop a bomb in that time, it will still count and you won't be able to drop another one until that bomb hits the ground.

if i had a penny for every one of these types of games that was around for Vic 20, C64, Speccy, Atari 400/800 etc.... i'd have erm.... a lot of pennies. :)

The Last Ninja game in the video was 'Ninja Remix'. You can tell by the music (Reyn Owenhand's version of Central Park and not Matt Gray's). And the other thing is the graphics for the game's border have been tarted up..

Just wanted to say cheers to the thread creator and also to the VICE port'er. This may have just convinced me to buy in to the Pandora :0)

p.s. apologies for the numpty question - but what is GTK? I Googled it, and my best guess is it's something to do with implementing touch screen controls in VICE?

GTK+ is a toolkit for creating GUIs, it was originally written for GIMP (GTK = GIMP Toolkit). GNOME and Xfce are using it for their programs.

Back