C64

Clearly if anything's demod it should be Dizzy Prince of the Yolkfolk, right..?

well not that it maters to me. I'm away at the moment and haven't had a chance to watch any of the recent vids anyway.

OpenTheBox said:
Merry Xmas to you ED, and thank you for all these high quality videos.

Merry Christmas team and everyone.
6a00d83451e1dc69e2010536b0bd0a970c-800wi

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for the Video ED and Merry Christmas to you and the team too. The c64 is looking so sweet on that screen. Your performance on Gribblys Day Out was excellent considering you hadn't played it before. The controls seem really responsive too.

Ha, excellent! Many thanks, ED. :D

It's amazing to imagine that something like this was firmly in the realms of science-fiction back when I got my C64 C... :p

some of my favorite C64 games: Racing Destruction Set, Mail Order Monsters, Bruce Lee, Ultima IV, Seven Cities of Gold, All of the Epyx games series (California Games, Winter Games, etc.), Jumpman, Loderunner

Some great C64 games there. I only ever play the Monty Mole games on the C64, so I must check out some of those.
I had a speccy when I was younger (surely obvious from my previous comment) so I missed most great 64 games :-(

on the Spectrum/C64 debate, while the C64 was more advanced in that it had sprites and a sound chip, proper keyboard etc, it was crippled by the totally craptastic basic, written for Commodore by none other than MicroSoft, who else would write a basic for a machine with sprites and a decent graphics display and 64k of ram, then make sure the basic couldn`t use the sprites, had no graphics commands, the basic rom overlay the first 32k of ram (making it unusable from basic), plus it was an OS that required the floppy disk drive needed a cpu as powerful as the bloody computer, which made it incredibly expensive, and if you had any data stored in arrays, it got erased when you opened a channel to the floppy, even on 8 bit computers MS could only manage crap software (they also wrote an "almost as crap as the C64 basic" for the Dragon)

on the other hand, the spectrum had a neat and powerful basic, and the claimed 48k of ram was not overlaid by the rom at any point, so when they said 48k, you actually HAD 48k to play with (minus system vars and screen ram, which wasn't a lot), so the supposedly "smaller" spectrum had 16 k more ram free to basic than the C64, and a better basic that was half the size, makes you wonder if MS ever did write any decent software in their whole history.]

one trick you could do with the C64 was to make self modifying code, if you printed basic instructions to the screen from within the program (inc line numbers), then sent the cursor home and poked 5 returns into the keyboard buffer and ended the code, then the next 5 lines where entered as though you typed them in, by having Goto xxx as the last line, once the first four lines had been entered as program lines the program would resume at line xxx with all the variables intact, I actually made a sprite editor that created the data statements for making the sprites and then saved the code to disk, and then erased itself, even back then MS code had exploits.

Oh man, thanks ED, several of my favourites in there...really enjoyed that video, perfect Xmas Eve treat. ;). I don't even have my Pandora yet, but I want another!

All the best to the team...and bring on the 80's!

Awakening said:
Merry Christmas!

Could someone name all those games in order please :)

Hopefully these are correct although my memory isn't what it used to be :) ....

1 Law Of The West
2 IK+ (Still my favourite fighting game of all time)
3 Impossible Mission
4 The Last Ninja (Could be the remixed verion)
5 Bubble Bobble
6 Turrican (Not sure if it's Turrican 1 or 2)
7 Wizard Of Wor
8 Gribbly's Day Out (One of the best games ever)
9 Warhawk
10 Jumpman

Hope that helps.
Maybe someone can confirm the couple I'm not 100% sure about?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back