C64 Emulators - Way Of The Exploding Fist

OldGamer

Still Fresh
Hi guys,
Sorry if this has been posted before - I did a search first, honest!
Inspired by the feature in the latest issue of Retro Gamer, I decided to put Way of the Exploding Fist on my GP2X. Problem is, it runs unplayably slowly in VICE and also in Frodo. The onscreen indicators in both emulators declare an average of about 14 FPS, but I think the actual framerate is much less. The same disc image runs fullspeed on my Windows version of VICE, so I know I don't have a bad file.
Can anything be done to fix this? My other C64 images work perfectly in either emulator, so please don't think I'm just slagging the emus. For what it's worth I suspect the problem may relate to the digitised speech.
Incidentally, my GP2X doesn't overclock beyond 240 MHz - could that be part of the problem?

That 'latest' issue of Retro Gamer is the current issue in Australia; so I assume you are not from the UK where it must be already old news?
I'll give it a go tonight; the C-128 was my first real computer (okay, the TRS-80 Color Computer was my first actual computer). I wish I had not sold it...

subcon959 posted on Dec 14 2006 at 11:48 PM said:
I love this game! I actually bought the orginal cassette when it came out (Beeb version) :D
Same here, but the spectrum version :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Try using Frodo with the sound turned off in the options - not ideal, but it should prove out whether there's a problem with the image or not. It should cope easily with sound turned off...

I can't get most things to run on VICE @ the moment without O/Cing to 250mhz, sometimes even having to turn off drive emulation, etc for games like Wizball, so I tend to use Frodo wherever possible :)

Frodo runs it at something approaching proper speed with the sound off. Of course, it's not as much fun...
Seems strange a C64 emu would need that much grunt, especially considering other games such as Forbidden Forest run perfectly with sound. I think the problem is caused by digitised speech.
And Slaanesh, it would appear Australia is not as far behind on RG issues as you think. A quick inspection of their forums suggests number 32 is still the current issue. And I do live in the UK.

OldGamer posted on Dec 15 2006 at 09:57 PM said:
And Slaanesh, it would appear Australia is not as far behind on RG issues as you think. A quick inspection of their forums suggests number 32 is still the current issue. And I do live in the UK.
Really? Huh, I've always thought we are way behind. We may have caught up a little bit recently as it seems we have been getting them slightly quicker than once a month. I mean, they seem to come out every 28 days or so rather than calendar month.

RG is the only magazine I buy now; though I may look around for a good Wii mag... any suggestions there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't help you on the Wii mags, but I thought I'd share a quote from my RG subscription letter which just arrived: "your subscription will start from issue 0033 2007 which should be with you on or around 4th January 2007."

Tried this game on Frodo and VICE. Seems to run @ normal speed for me, but the speech samples just run very slow... Are you sure it's tha game that's running slow, and not the samples?

Gameplay speed is definitely affected. The game runs at something approximating normal speed (compared to running the same image on a Windows emu) if sound is switched off, but is very jerky otherwise, even on Frodo at 240Mhz.

Back