GP2X C++ Programming?

Kizo

Still Fresh
Hi.
I'm really thinking about getting a GP2X, alot because from what I've gathered it's "easy" to make games for it.

Well, these are my two newbie questions, will C++ be enough? And what is this SDK, that keeps popping up?

SDK = Software Development Kit. It is the bunch of functions and structures that you have access to to communicate and interact with the hardware. For example, it has functions to draw a sprite to the screen, draw lines, play sound that you place in the buffer, set up graphics modes etc.

Yes, c++ should be fine.

Remeber that it is not the same as dev'ing for windows, as the windows SDK functions are now not available - i.e. you can't set up a window, process window messages etc etc. You have to start from scratch :)

Kizo posted on Sep 19 2005 at 11:25 PM said:
Hi.
I'm really thinking about getting a GP2X, alot because from what I've gathered it's "easy" to make games for it.

Well, these are my two newbie questions, will C++ be enough? And what is this SDK, that keeps popping up?

Have a look here:
http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT6830035793.html

You dont need a special SDK for the gp2x. A Linux cross compiler is your goal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hang on, let me get this straight - in your first ever post to this forum you insult all developers who spend their very limited spare time creating freely available software by saying the majority of our software is crap, and then in your second post you are asking us for help?

Fuck off.

woogal posted on Sep 20 2005 at 09:04 AM said:
Hang on, let me get this straight - in your first ever post to this forum you insult all developers who spend their very limited spare time creating freely available software by saying the majority of our software is crap, and then in your second post you are asking us for help?

Fuck off.
he really was? omg

woogal posted on Sep 20 2005 at 10:04 AM said:

Fuck off.
Hey, lay down the attitude. You're reading stuff I haven't even written. As I answered in the other post. I'm not in trying to talk down on developers, what I don't like is projects when the developer him/herself seems to have lost the interest and just didn't care about it.

But thanks for making one thing clear, I was wondering whether this was a friendly community or not.
Well, apparently I shouldn't expect a friendly attitude from some.

woogal posted on Sep 20 2005 at 10:04 AM said:

Fuck off.
He is not insulting them he is just saying that most of the games aren't like the commercial games.

Kizo posted on Sep 20 2005 at 04:10 PM said:
But thanks for making one thing clear, I was wondering whether this was a friendly community or not.
Well, apparently I shouldn't expect a friendly attitude from some.
This is a friendly community (the friendliest I've ever come across), and it's very very rare that I loose my temper on here, but if someone comes along and tells me that what they've been given for free is crap then I'm afraid that just brings out the worst in me. The vast majority of homebrew coders code for themselves. They write software that interests them, and when they get bored they stop and move on. They are not paid for the work they do, so why can't they stop when they loose interest? If you want commercial quality software then pay for it. If you want something for nothing then be happy with what you're given, and if it's only half complete then be grateful that someone spent their hard earned spare time to give you anything at all. Developers aren't going to bother completing projects if the only feedback they get is 'thats crap, why isn't it as good as something I just paid £30 for?'. Encourage developers and you'll find that the gp2x will be a great little console with loads of good games. Tell us we're wasting our time and we'll just find a system where the users appreciate free software no matter what the quality.

Anyway, getting back to the original question which I'll now answer for you as it's not 9am anymore and I've fully woken up and I'm not feeling quite as grumpy ;).

The gp2x is supposed to use SDL as it's API, so to get started have a play with that and write some stuff for windows or linux. If you keep your window size to 320x240 then you should find that you will easily be able to port your app to the gp2x once it's available.

LOL! I knew someone was gonna get really pissed at that comment he made ("the majority of home made games are crap"). :p

Payback's a bitch! Hehe.

Back