Buying A Psp

dave19711998

Still Fresh
I tthink sometime we don't realise a well off we are and lucky we are to have a machine that offers so much of so little.

I'll tell you a little story about myself looking into buying a psp. I wanted to buy a psp and looked at all the magazines. Great 3d games (not bad), you can pay more for films on UMD format than DVD (RIGHT) but where are all the emulation games?

So I decided to sell my GP32 and buy a GP2x. Why? It's simple, I love old emulation games. Some of the best games I have played recently has been home grown. For me there is some about a game made buy someone who has poured his or her heart and soul into it and I don't think the PSP will ever really be able to offer me the same experience.

Just to give you an idea of what I currently posses. I have a PSX, PS2, 2x Dreamcasts, Gamecube and 7 PCs but none of them gave me the joy of running black tiger on mame, on a hand held console.

Also, i find the quirks of the console challenging and for me, there's a sense of achievement in getting something to work that didn't work before.

I have tried playing music on the machine, I gave a 40 gig MP3 player for that but for movies, I would recomend anyone using POCKETDIVX. It's free and can convert a movie or a batch of movies in a short amount of time. There is no slow down and depending on the size of the original can reduce a film. I.E. The Matrix to about 260 MB with a decent picture and sterio sound at 128KBs and in my opinion is great.

I start to wonder how empty my experience would have been if I had bought a PSP and thank god I didn't.

Hope you enjoyed my little write up of a machine that in all fairness should be selling millions.

I just sold my PSP.. its a really nice unit, but there were a total of about 3 games that were any fun to play (or havnt already been played out on ps1/ps2).
The gp2x fills the need for homebrew, coding and emulation, and i just picked up a Nintendo DS to get my fill of commercial games (been playing MarioKart, Mario64 and ACWW).

Maybe i'll pick up another PSP in the future once there are more games i want to play.

The psp is a great console, not that many games yet but soon there will be

and hey the emulation is bound to improve too.

Still couldnt beat a GP2x for emulation though

I have a GP2X and currently I do not use it much for emulation at all and the joystick is extremely frustrating to use even after 5 coatings of plastidip.

On my 2.0 firmware Psp however, I have been playing GTA, Sims 2, Smack Down Vs Raw and Socom.

The emulators I currently play on my Psp 2.0 are as follows:

Snes - Full speed and sound (Super Metroid runs full speed on frame skip 0 at 266mhz)
Nes -Full speed and sound
Megadrive - Full speed and sound
GBC/GB - Full speed and sound
ScummVM - Full speed and sound (Broken Sword(s) work)
NeoCD - Full speed with extremely fast zip support and sound
C64 - Full speed and sound
Atari Lynx - Reasonable speed but terrible sound
TurboGfx - Appears full speed and has sound

All of the above emulators have standard saving as well as save states and many of them have speed hacks, CPU settings, cheat support, zip support and much more.

Other than these emulators I also play Quake, DuckHunt, Laserix 2, Heretec, and Doom. A Quake 2 port has also been released that may run under 2.0 firmware in the future. So thats the answer to question ' but where are all the emulation games?'

So with the Psp I can take one portable with me and get all of the emulation I need as well as great commercial games, I can also play games that require firmware 2.5 on my 2.0 without having to upgrade by using the 2.0 firmware version changer.

There is also a Psx emulator being developed which I expect to eventually go very far because they will be using the Psp 3D GPU which is a potential 166mhz, taking advantage of the similar architecture as well as the standard 333mhz CPU.

I know it is very early days for the GP2X just yet so I will be keeping an eye on this. For me the biggest problem is the GP2X joystick. I think the Psp gives the best of both worlds and some of the devs like the challenge of working around Sonys firmware restrictions. So in summary, the Psp is an excellent emulation portable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a GP2X and currently I do not use it much for emulation at all and the joystick is extremely frustrating to use even after 5 coatings of plastidip.

On my 2.0 firmware Psp however, I have been playing GTA, Sims 2, Smack Down Vs Raw and Socom.

Snes - Full speed and sound (Super Metroid runs full speed on frame skip 0 at 266mhz)

All of the above emulators have standard saving as well as save states and many of them have speed hacks, CPU settings, cheat support, zip support and much more.

Other than these emulators I also play Quake, DuckHunt, Laserix 2, Heretec, and Doom. A Quake 2 port has also been released that may run under 2.0 firmware in the future. So thats the answer to question ' but where are all the emulation games?'

So with the Psp I can take one portable with me and get all of the emulation I need as well as great commercial games, I can also play games that require firmware 2.5 on my 2.0 without having to upgrade by using the 2.0 firmware version changer.

There is also a Psx emulator being developed which I expect to eventually go very far because they will be using the Psp 3D GPU which is a potential 166mhz, taking advantage of the similar architecture as well as the standard 333mhz CPU.

I know it is very early days for the GP2X just yet so I will be keeping an eye on this. For me the biggest problem is the GP2X joystick. I think the Psp gives the best of both worlds and some of the devs like the challenge of working around Sonys firmware restrictions. So in summary, the Psp is an excellent emulation portable.

This makes the PSP much much much more prettier in my eyes!! But I would be really worried about sony upgraded to like firmware 4.0 and having commercial games require 4.0 and the version changer be obsolulete and then being screwed indefinitly... or something like that... :)

bollocks i hate firmwire, its either annoying or it fucks up on you

Why the fuck did you revive an old topic only to quote an old post without posting anything yourself? God.

- Alex

The psp is a great console, not that many games yet but soon there will be
Has anyone else heard this like a million times? It is stating to drive me insane, thats what PSP users were saying 9 months ago. Where are these promised games you speak of?

EDIT: lol, did not no this was such an old topic. Oh well don't mind me, move along.

9 months ago the console was a month and a half old....
NOTHING has a lot of good games at 1 1/2 months....

There is good games

I am gonna sell mine to get a new one (my UMD drive broke...) soon so I can play all my fun games on the go

SOCOM ( This game is sometin else online, unlike ANY other portable experience ever, specially with the headset mic )
Burnout - Great Game
Gran Turismo 4 - comes out soon ( Q2 )
Splinter Cell Essentials - Gonna Rock, and REALLY good graphics
Kill Zone Liberation - Another good one, a 3rd person sequel to the PS2 game, great GFX

And many more, plus, I am pretty sure that I just read that 2.6 users get all the homebrew that 2.0 users get... Im gonna have to go get some tonight

~Octavious

i'd say if your looking for a machine that runs emulated games, like the old school games B) then get a gp2x, if your looking to buy expensive rubbish sports games, that arnet that good (sorry to all psp freaks) then buy one ;):p

sorry for being such a spoilt sport :p ;)

Nah, the psp can emulate well. To say otherwise is daft. There are more people working on it than on our GP2x.

But there aren't that many games on it that I want to play. Just dunno what it is. And I am scared to upgrade the firmware, so the modern games are lost to me.

I love my psp, but don't play it.

I love my DS, but don't play it.

I love my GP2x, and play it all the while.

Basically, you can survive with a psp and no GP2x. But I just prefer the liitle Korean bugger. Dunno why...

I own a PSP. Its mostly opinions and everyones entitled to them. Ive said this over and Ill say it again, its not that there arnt any good games on the system, theres just nothing you want. I personally have 12 games or so on my PSP and love most of them (One I do regrwt buying). I play it when I have a chance.

Ive also own a GP32. I love that machine to death too. Its my portable emulator. Being able to play all my old games on one machine thats not my computer and really portable (I have a laptop) its great.

Im also waiting on my GP2X to get to me sometime in the comming week.

I only watch UMD movies and play Wipeout on my PSP these days ... from my experience thus far, encoded movies look much better on my GP2X, and I don't need to run thru hoops and trick my firmware to run 'unsigned code' on my GP2X. ;)

(I still use my DS nearly everyday since I got Animal Crossing :D )

Back