Thinking about buying a GP32...Is it worth it?

ashtray

Still Fresh
Hi there all,im thinking of buying a GP32 myself and am looking for some insight into the machine from people who actually use them.
Are there many good titles available for it and also how is the emulation side of things for the machine?I.E. Good or bad?

One other thing...is it easy to use it for viewing movies for example could it say hold the" big lebowski" on a 128mb media card?
And more importantly is the sound decent when viewing films on it?

Many thanks in advance for all replys.

Cheers.

man. I love my GP32, I have no time to play games anymore in mylife (at all) but I make time for GP32. I'm a child of the eighties/emu buff so it's great to have all the old games that I love on hand anywhere, and I mean you can fit so much on a 128MB card at once! The emulation scene is excellent - the commercial scene is, well, not designed for us Westerners..

Films should be good, I have yet to try it - MP3 is fine.. blahblah blah. Really, all the answers you seek are scattered hundreds of times across this forum, and also look at the archives of the forums at gp32emu.com - people are always popping in there asking just like you are and getting all these long detailed answers.

GP32 is great for some people and awful for others, it depends on what type of console you want. Like I said, for me it's just about perfect and worth every penny. Do some research and see if it sounds good to you too.

Cheers for the info ralp ill have a good dig through the archives man.
Im mainly going to be using it for emulation myself but the movie aspect intrigued me somewhat.
I am going to buy one anyway,its a new toy as far as im concerned. :)

I got mine a couple of days ago and both me and the wife love it to bits. I'm an emulation fan and the gp32 is so damn good we are ordering another one soon :D

Its worth every penny :rolleyes:

The best emulators are GPengine (info on the gp32x.de homepage on the left.. its a pic), and any of the newer nes emulators.

Buy at least 1 good game for your gamepark, it will make you much happier when you start using it, but wait until you get a little bored with the emulation/homebrew thing.

I play a commercial game, all for princess, it is amazingly addictive. Its like golden axe for sega or the arcade times 10, more thinking and less button pressing, makes it really nice. Even thought so many people don't think so, if you like fighting games get little wizard, its really fun, and perfect if you have 2 gp32s and the wireless link.

For the free homebrew games try out gpgames V6, it has lots of professional like games (like mahjong and solitare, and a really neat catching game).

Welcome to the community.
mth411

PS. GPengine really shows off what this system can do, try out games like coryoon or air zonk (look up screenshots on www.vgmuseum.com).

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the bottom line:

-You will be amazed by the size and resolution of the screen as well as the quality of the graphics.

-You will be disappointed by the movies. You're probably expecting them to look and run perfectly, just by dragging and dropping them onto the GP32. If you want something that seamless, get a PocketPC. With GP32, making movies compatible with it is a long ordeal and they look decent, but not great when finished.

-You will obviously go straight for the SNES emulator, and be horribly disappointed that it doesn't run full speed. However, try to get over it, because GPEngine plays many fantastic games that aren't on SNES, with just as good (and often better) graphics. You'll have to actually play games you've never tried before (because you didn't own a TG-16) instead of the same old SNES games, but I think that's for the best.

-You'll be pleasantly surprised at how good Doom looks and runs.

-You'll annoy everyone on the messageboards by saying things like "GP32 should be able to emulate SNES since my Pentium 133Mhz used to do it just fine!" and "What about an N64 emulator" and "Why don't they make a Neo Geo emulator?"

-You'll expect homebrew games to be much better than they are. Remember, these are incomplete little demos put together by coders IN THEIR SPARE TIME. Don't expect epic, commercial quality RPGs or anything.

-You'll bug everyone about Astonisha Story R and why it's not English. Same goes with all the other commercial games.

-You'll bug us for GP32 roms. This is a no-no.

-You'll be amazed at how it can play games like Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle.

In the end, you'll get over your unrealistic expectations of what this thing can do and realize it really is a neat little gadget. It's not magic, but it's not like you're spending 500 bucks on it, so be happy with what you get.

In a nutshell? Yeah it's worth it.

Enjoyed reading that Rambozo,that came from the heart.Hi mth411.
Ill ignore that rambling about being about to play some lucasarts adventures. ;)
Do they really play well on the gp32 and im scared to ask...are any games complete with vocals?

Yup, the games that are supposed to have vocals have them completely intact. Day of the Tentacle sounds and looks fantastic on GP32.

Back