Buying A Gp2x

leathco

OK, I've sold my Axim x51v cause I wasn't honestly getting a lot of use out of it, and the last firmware "upgrade" stopped most of my emulators from working. After doing some research I found the gp2x and it looks like it will suit my needs perfectly. Anyway, I'm wondering what all I should get. Here's what I have picked out.

GP2X Console MK2 Value Pack: $209.99 (comes with the stuff below)
Gp2x console
4 games
Noiz (shooting game)
Flobopuyo (puzzle game)
Supertux (platform game)
Vektar (shooting game)
Manual
USB Cable
Headphones
Console Pouch
Handstrap
4 Rechargeable batteries
Free SD Card reader

GP2X Power Supply: $22.99

GP2X TV-Out cable: $9.99

GP2X Svreen Protector: $4.99

Shipping is free on all this stuff. Is there a US retailer that has lower prices or should I go ahead and order? And is there anything else I possibly need, like the TV-Out extension cable? I already have a 2 gig SD card, so I won't need storage for a while.

leathco posted on Mar 14 2007 at 09:46 AM said:
Is there a US retailer that has lower prices or should I go ahead and order? And is there anything else I possibly need, like the TV-Out extension cable? I already have a 2 gig SD card, so I won't need storage for a while.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-14-71-d1-49-en.html

They charge shipping, but I got my in under a week :). With the shipping it might wind up to be the same cost, then again, maybe less.

Last edited by a moderator:
here!!!!

thats were I bought mine and I'm happy :)

I use ALOT (of what I have, not value pack stuff I got a regualr mk2..):
power supply
wrist strap(holds xtra sd)

some:
TV-out cable

None:
case (got a ds case which I like better)
screen protector (I use mine ALL the time, no scatches :D )

hope this helps :)

-purple_goat

edit: DAMN! nubie beat me..

Thanks for the fast replies!

Play-Asia's prices are a lot cheaper, but the shipping brought it up a lil higher than the other place (www.gp2xstore.com). Crap I live in the wrong country!

I recently jumped into the world of GP2X, and apart from an issue getting a 4GB SD card to work (still not resolved), I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

I purchased my value pack from Dynamism, and a carrying case and screen protector from GP2Xstore.com. Speed of delivery was excellent with both vendors (got everything within 2-3 days). I bought an SD card and NiMH rechargeable batteries (w/ 15 min charger) locally.

I chose Dynamism because they offer free tech support via a toll-free number. I ended up using it when I had trouble getting a few things started. They were very helpful!

In my personal experience:

The GP2X shipped with FW3.0 and the boot time is pretty long. I ended up downgrading to 2.0 (which was easy) and the boot time is *much* better. I did lose the built-in games in the process, but it was no great loss for me (they were okay, nothing spectacular). Plus, there are great skins available that give you menus that look much better. Anyway, I wanted it more for emulation and watching videos.

The screen already has a thin sheet of protective plastic, but you'll want to swap it out for a better one that'll let the colors come through more clearly. You can go with the official one like I did, or try to create a cheaper one yourself. I was an idiot and messed up the protector during my first transfer attempt and wound up having to order a replacement (ugh). It's pretty straightforward to do, but take your time and avoid my mistake! Maybe order a spare, just in case. It's an absolute must to protect the screen.

The carrying case isn't perfect, but it works. A common complaint is that there's not a lot of room for accessories (the webbing pouch is kind of a joke), but the case is molded so that GP2X sits snug and comfortably within. Fits in my coat pocket and is the perfect commuting accessory. I can fit an extra pair of AAs and headphones within the case, and once carefully closed (you have to make sure the spare batteries aren't smashing the joystick), it works just fine.

I haven't used the included batteries, simply because I didn't have the confidence in them. Felt much better about an Energizer set, but that's just me.

I honestly don't think you'll need the AC adapter, unless perhaps you're running a bunch of movies out to a bigger screen. Otherwise, as long as you use freshly charged batteries during firmware upgrades, you'll be fine and will get a few hours' usage off of two rechargeable AAs.

I don't have a TV out cable (I'm either using the GP2X on the train or in bed), but if it makes you happy to see it on a big screen, enjoy! :)

Hope that helps. I love my new toy, easily one of the better purchases I've made in quite some time. Good luck!

leathco posted on Mar 14 2007 at 10:28 AM said:
Thanks for the fast replies!

Play-Asia's prices are a lot cheaper, but the shipping brought it up a lil higher than the other place (www.gp2xstore.com). Crap I live in the wrong country!
I would recommend against the "value pack" DS cases fit the GP2X perfectly, the extra money is better spent on a DS case, they are easier to use too.

Also there is a thread on here with a $3 SD reader (total) that is pretty neat.

The USB cord is bound to be crap, you would need a new one.

The headphones, same story.

All those games are free.

Chargeable batteries and no charger?? Get a Duracell or Energizer pack, 4-8 with charger $20-25

I didn't know anyone was still carrying the system without the value pack, I wouldn't do the value pack
unless forced to.

EDIT: NVM they are out of stock too. Aaaagh, that is why I bought one on ebay. The MK1 I got has a great screen but the joystick sucks.

nubie posted on Mar 14 2007 at 11:25 AM said:
I would recommend against the "value pack" DS cases fit the GP2X perfectly, the extra money is better spent on a DS case, they are easier to use too.
quick question on the DS case, there are many different types available from many different manufacturers, any recommendations on which brand/name to buy? They can vary quite a lot in design.

Back