Broken Wiz?

dannyburr

Still Fresh
Okay, so sorry if this comes off as nooby, but here's my story...

I got my GP2X Wiz yesterday from Play-Asia.com, and with a little toying, got PocketSNES to work, and overall, I'm very happy with the results. Not all games work, but those that do, work relatively well, if not perfectly, and I can't complain... But that's about where the use of my Wiz just stops.

The main reason I bought my Wiz, was for retro emulation. Unfortunately, I can only seem to get PocketSNES to work. The other emulators I've tried (ohboy, LemonBoy, gpSP (GBA Emulator) and gpfce-wiz (NES Emulator), just plain, don't work. When I put up the .gpe for them in my Wiz, they either get stuck on the very first inital loading screen, or go past that, and only show a black screen. It locks up my Wiz, and I have no choice but to turn it off, and then on again.

It also does this with two games I downloaded for it also, TetWiz, and Snakes on Dope. I can't recall where I downloaded those two from, but I'm sure I could find out if necessary. They do the exact same thing as the afore-mentioned emulators, just don't work.

I've looked everywhere, and can't find anybody having the same issues.

The information for the Wiz says Version 1,2,1, Firmware Linux 2.6.24 Revision: 327

I'm led to believe this is the most recent version available, so I'm just at a stand-still.

Is my Wiz just broken, or do I need to downgrade my firmware, or what? I'm honestly stumped... Or do these emulators in fact not work, and everybody else that's had them working is just lying? That seems highly unlikely.

All help is appreciated.

Where are you putting the folders? They should go in the game folder. Also, format your SD card and then try again. If that's all cool you could try reflashing the firmware. It's in the archive, here. http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,42

Thanks for your reply,
I'm putting them in the game folder on the memory provided by the wiz, as I do not have an SD Card, but that couldn't be the issue could it?

Update:

PicoDrive works fine.

Still no luck with the others though. Would flashing my firmware be worth a shot?

fiddling around with the NAND (memory provided by wiz) often leads to corrupted data - thats what many here on the forums can confirm including me. i suggest to buy an SD card (which you need anyway if you want to flash the firmware), put everything you want there and try again.

Thanks Crow, and now I feel like an idiot.

As soon as I saw your post, I remembered that I had an old USB Flashram that would do a similar thing, seemingly the file was there fine and well, but it was actually corrupted data. When I went back and looked over most of the emulators, they were all missing a few kb/s, and thus, hadn't copied properly. After I went through and copied over each file into the respective folder one-by-one, they're now all working like a charm.

Thanks. :D

I've had corruption many, many times. You can download Febooti CRC/Hash checker to check the integrity of the copied files by comparing the CRC.

I definitely recommend getting an SD card. The NAND has never really worked well for me.

Back