Brief Answers to the Big (Pyra) Questions

Depending on the version of Synaptic you have, here is what I would do (approximately, I don't have it right there) :
1) click "Reload" to get the list of the latest softwares
2) look for your software and select it for installation
3) do so for several if needed
4) click "Apply" to actually install all the software you selected

Reactions: rSl
Thanks, I allready found out..

Something else; i installed the software on the 32 gb internal storage , whit the standard work stuff this could be ok, but games etc might be much bigger, so are there any options to put my Stuff one the 400 gb SD Card??

And I also installed gngb but it’s doesn’t show up in the Menue?

Send from something, i guess ^^

No, the debian installers including synaptic only support installing to the root filesystem. You could (and I do) pull out bits and pieces and put them on different discs including SD cards, on this machine for example the miniPATA connector broke somehow, so I put in a SD card and put my /usr and /var and /home partitions there instead. I'd expect the system to become rather unstable rather quickly if I actually removed that SD card which is why there's a bit of tape over it, so it'd not a recommended way of working.

Edit: Not sure what's up with the menu.

I don’t want to put everything on the Internal Storage, just now on the beginning of the Pyra, the basics
Was I remember correctly whe will get a PND Like System in the future where Software can get download directly on SD Cards like on the Pandora.. ?
I can get to the Internet, can receive Email, and wrote things on the Pyra, so it’s allready useful..

Was I remember correctly whe will get a PND Like System in the future where Software can get download directly on SD Cards like on the Pandora.. ?

There isn't a PNDManager like program yet, so it's just a matter of download it to your SD card.

Have to remember we're pretty early in the software development, still a lot of work needs to get done to get the Pyra fully up and running.

There isn't a PNDManager like program yet, so it's just a matter of download it to your SD card.

Have to remember we're pretty early in the software development, still a lot of work needs to get done to get the Pyra fully up and running.
Couldn't you just mount the sdcard to /usr/, or /home/ ?

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Couldn't you just mount the sdcard to /usr/, or /home/ ?

You can, but then what? eject the SD card or it gets corrupted, then you break dependencies and what not. Many may be fine just running it like that, but DBP provides a nice solution to handle removable media like PND did on the Pandora and these ports posted generally come with default configurations like keymapped controls that are friendly to the end user. And also what I like with this system and PND on the Pandora is it encourages optimized software development.

You can, but then what? eject the SD card or it gets corrupted, then you break dependencies and what not. Many may be fine just running it like that, but DBP provides a nice solution to handle removable media like PND did on the Pandora and these ports posted generally come with default configurations like keymapped controls that are friendly to the end user. And also what I like with this system and PND on the Pandora is it encourages optimized software development.
mostly true, in that DBP is better. But as its not there ATM, mount is a good hold over.

Also, I ran an SD card as my home for years (eeepc had a small main drive). You just "don't" remove said card, treat it like a hard drive. There is always USB card readers if you need one.

Also^2, I never had an issue with corruption. You just pick a good SD card, sandisk in my case at the time, as well as DON'T USE FAT. I formatted mine as ext4. It does eat through your card faster, but I did this for 2 years with no issue, on a card I used as my / for 2 months ( my eeepc days were fun :) ).

Aka, SD cards are much better then use to be.

One thing about the SD Card: is it save to push the SD Card out of the Reader bevor you boot up the Pyra?
This would be a work around for the Boot Disk Bit Issue where it’s don’t Boot whit a SD Card in

You can say that, but I suspect the libreoffice package for example was rather larger than it would need to be if it supported dependencies. Thankfully the dbp system does supply dependency support. I'm just not sure whether those dependencies can be fulfulled both by other dbps or binaries installed to the system. For an example to consider, on my archlinux laptop, the libreoffice-still package depends on the following:
Code:
curl>=7.20.0  hunspell>=1.2.8  python>=3.7  libwpd>=0.9.2
libwps  neon>=0.28.6  pango  nspr  libjpeg  libxrandr  libgl
libxslt  redland  hyphen  lpsolve  gcc-libs  sh  graphite
icu  lcms2  poppler>=0.24.0  libvisio  libetonyek  libodfgen
libcdr  libmspub  harfbuzz-icu  nss  clucene
hicolor-icon-theme  desktop-file-utils  shared-mime-info
libpagemaker  libxinerama  libabw  libmwaw  libe-book
libcups  liblangtag  libexttextcat  libcmis  libtommath
libzmf  libatomic_ops  xmlsec  gpgme  libnumbertext
libfreehand  libstaroffice  libepubgen  libqxp  libepoxy

That omits anything that those dependencies include in turn, for example gpgme depends on gnupg.

But I'd expect much of that to already be in the letux image and updated by debian. For example curl and perhaps python I'd expect to be installed already; should the dbp author assume they're already installed, or is the dbp system clever enough to know that a python3.x in /usr/bin is as good as a python dbp?

@matzesu I've Never had an issue booting with the SD card in, but I also didn't set any boot flags when formatting the SD card either. I wouldn't stress over it.
Post automatically merged:

But I'd expect much of that to already be in the letux image and updated by debian. For example curl and perhaps python I'd expect to be installed already; should the dbp author assume they're already installed, or is the dbp system clever enough to know that a python3.x in /usr/bin is as good as a python dbp?
DBP the author can put in the dependency requirements in the meta data when building the package and I believe this can be another dbp or something in the debian repo.

@slaeshjag can confirm this

Last edited:
Well, seems like my SD Card got a boot flag wenn I made it for the Pandora, but I would suspect I could just use Departed to remove this bit.. at least I hope so..
if the Software got a DBP Release in some months, is it easy to remove other Version from Synamptic?

can use gparted off the debian repo, just do a "sudo apt install gparted"
and run gparted with sudo.
should be able to select the SD card and uncheck the boot flag, but this is just off memory...

Not 100% sure the boot flag is causing the issues. If that SD card was from your pandora and if you have some of the old firmware flashing files on the SD card uboot may be trying to do something with it even if it can't do anything with it.

Below: files from SZ 1.76 firmware install

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-01-13 15-56-28.png
    Screenshot from 2021-01-13 15-56-28.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 97
Is there allready a way to tell the LID LED to show the Charging?
Or is this just not Implemented?
It would cool if it’s would show how much Charge your Pyra have: maybe RED for Charging, and Green for when it’s full..

Or isn’t this possible as the CPU dotnt run when you charge while the Pyra is shutdown?

When I want to know if the Pyra is still charging, I have to lift up the lid a bit, to see the Red Power LED..

Not send from my Pyra, but my Pyra is also here whit me ^^

How are DBP Updates meant to do: let’s say Wally makes an updated Version of Pcsxreaemed. where he ads the right nub, do I just have to change the existing dbp file on my packages folder to the new on, and can let the Appdata untouched??

Back