Bricked Fw2.1.0

a3-h

Still Fresh
Ok, so i tried updating from v 2.0.0 to 2.1.0, and did the mistake of not holding the start and select buttons while starting the gp2x. After the "upgrading firmware" was finished, i got to the green loading screen, still saying fw2.0.0. The main menu started up, everything seeming fine, with the sliding menues and so on from fw 2.1.0. I could not, however, get the USB to work.
The next time I started my gp2x it asked me if i wanted to upgrade the firmware, and I answered yes. The updating firmware screen again, loading scr still fw2.0.0, then main menu again, with no difference.
The few following times it kept asking me if I wanted to upgrade, and since I couldn't get my usb to work, i thought, why not. i turned my gp2x off, held start+select and then turned it on.
Firmware upgrade screen again, then it got stuck at the green loading screen now saying fw 2.1.0 ..

From reading the unbricking guide by DjWillis, i got the impression I'm basically only to put the gp2xfile.img on a formatted SD, and then start the thing, but nothing happens, i get the black screen, then it's stuck on the green screen.
I also tried putting fw upgrade 2.1.0 on an sd and resetting, but same luck as earlier, after fw upgrade, I get stuck at the beautiful green screen.

Someone help, please..?

/a

Try another SD Card... reformat the new SD Card, put the files on it, and try the process again.
(If you can't buy another SD Card, then reformat the same one, and put the files again).

Since you can't transfer files via the GP2x, put the SD card in a digital camera, and hook it up to the PC, and transfer it like that. Or any other device that has a SD card slot and a usb cable.

If you don't have any device like that, then you'll have to get a SD card reader for your PC, there's a link somewhere in the site about one that costs only $ 3 USD shipped. So you could use that as well.

--- Also --- If it's more serious than that, you could buy the Break out board which will fix it.. but it costs $50...however aside from unbricking your gp2x it allows you to use USB devices like an extra gamepad and so on.

I had this happen about 6 times this afternoon.. simply having an application crash seems to cause it.

Flash back to 2.0.0, then back to 2.1.0/2.1.1 - that gets it back. I've stuck at 2.0.0 because I don't trust 2.1 any more.

I had this happen about 6 times this afternoon.. simply having an application crash seems to cause it.

Flash back to 2.0.0, then back to 2.1.0/2.1.1 - that gets it back. I've stuck at 2.0.0 because I don't trust 2.1 any more.

Yea, about 2 minutes after I wrote, I realized that I hadn't tried reverting to 2.0.0, so I tried it and everything worked out good.
^___^ /me happy

I didn't know there was a 2.1.1
Any good? ^_^;
2.1.0 just seems to be uncompatible with all the stuff i try to play. -_-

Last edited by a moderator:
Back