GP2X Booting From Sd Card

gfoot

I've read in various places that the device supports booting from an SD card, but Squidge said in a post in the squashing-the-penguin thread that the "HH" mode he's working with involves modding the bootloader. Are the references to booting directly from SD cards just wrong?

If it's possible to boot from SD card out-of-the-box, i.e. plug an SD card into a virgin GP2X, turn it on, and the code from the card runs, then that sounds like a great way to play with the hardware at a low level without risking making the device unbootable if you get it wrong. Kind of like using a bootable CD in a PC to try out a new OS, so you don't need to risk making your hard disk not boot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the references to booting directly from SD cards just wrong?
From chatting on IRC with all the developers with prototypes, booting from the SD is not available. There is however a workaround, that will be made available soon, in the form of an app you launch from the menu that will eject Linux using a creative hack and present you with the ability to launch software from the SD in what Squide is calling "HH" mode.

I'd expect that to be released fairly soon since there are quite a few homebrewers, like myself, that are planning to run directly on the metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
(erased) ... nevermind! i just read the "any news on HH" thread again and realized my oh so special idea was already being done.

Back