Boinc On Pandora

cb88

The mighty inverse laplacinator
Website
gcadvsg.rr.nu
So how about haveing boinc installed as the default screensaver? or as a package also debian has a boinc package for arm so i guess we are set :). just imageing team pandora 3000+ pandoras charging at night and runing boinc would be an impressive amount of cpu power

cb88 said:
So how about haveing boinc installed as the default screensaver? or as a package also debian has a boinc package for arm so i guess we are set :). just imageing team pandora 3000+ pandoras charging at night and runing boinc would be an impressive amount of cpu power
eh, a screensaver is pretty pointless with lcds and a clamshell design... and when you are trying to save power...

Last edited by a moderator:
Snu said:
cb88 said:
eh, a screensaver is pretty pointless with lcds and a clamshell design... and when you are trying to save power...

Is what you are referring to is kind of like the electronic sheep screensaver?

These programs do actually stress the device they are computing on.

I've contributed to several Grid computing efforts over the years and still do but I do notice significant temperature differences.

I'm in Australia without AC (in the northern part too) which means that I monitor my boxes closely in the summer time and running Boinc etc will push my CPU too high.

I'd hate to kill my Pandora because I had cooked the CPU and the CPU is on a PCB which can transfer heat to every other component in the case. Pandora doesn't have a fan does it?

Also if the computationally intensive activity overnight results in more charge/discharge cycles on your battery you'll be going through them pretty quickly - just depends how the charging circuit works I suppose.

I think you'd get a cheaper and more powerful result building a dedicated x86 box and leaving it running in the corner (with some fans).

Blah said:
I've never seen an ARM get hot, lol.
The XScale manages. My iPAQ 2700, and 5500 especially, cook an egg at 400MHz. Why? SOFTWARE CHARGING.

Back