Bob

PSyMastR

\m/O__O\m/
Website
Visit site
Um, ya. So, is there a release date to the Breakout box? As play-asia is completely sold out of them, and gp2x.co.uk is a tad expensive for what i want to do with it. Any release date on the consumer version?

yeah where the fuck is that thing? ive been waiting to spend my money on it for like 4 months now, craig wtf?

Well with all that aside, ya. Im just wondering because i've wanted this for a long time now, and well ya.

Personally I don't think the dev version is that bad, just might need to use a little creativity making an enclosure for it.

do you have a date? i remember you saying a month ago "it is coming soon" and its still not here... and this time, advertise it on the new section, i didnt know Vektar was released for 2 months because it wasnt even in a news post on this site...

I wake up every morning covered in cold sweat screaming "GIIMMMEEEE MYYYY BOOOOBBBB!!!" that my mother thinks im gay and i fell in love with a guy called Bob, who she doesnt even know.

craigix posted on Oct 8 2006 at 05:22 PM said:
Lack of money = slow progress. It is coming though!
Lack of money? Are they selling GP2X's at a loss or what? :-\

- Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex. posted on Oct 8 2006 at 05:21 PM said:
Lack of money? Are they selling GP2X's at a loss or what? :-\

- Alex

I think they're probably selling the GP2X at a profit, or at least they would be, but I think the production of accessories and whatnot is eating that up. Don't take me as a source though, I'm just guessing, I'm probably totally off.

I too am waiting (im)patiently for the retail BoB. By the time it comes out my Play-Asia coupon will have expired. Bah; bah I say.

I logged in just to say this:

<_<

Wolfsclaw posted on Oct 8 2006 at 11:02 PM said:
I wake up every morning covered in cold sweat screaming "GIIMMMEEEE MYYYY BOOOOB!!!" that my mother thinks im gay and i fell in love with a guy called Bob, who she doesnt even know.

Craig has given us some mixed information, half of which is probably true, about the GP2X's profitability. Part says the GP2X has not made GPH a profit. He has not said if each unit does. I'm sure GPH would have a lot more money to improve the GP2X if they weren't wasting money on this project though. That isn't to say they shouldn't produce a breakout device, but it should probably be executed differently.

First off, I don't see why it isn't just an attachment to the unit itself. Craig described something of this nature to me, with a keypad of sorts. Seems like a better idea-- a clip-on unit instead of some awkward box that needs to trail off the machine and have its own power! The device he described would have all the breakout dev board's capabilities incl. 3 USB ports. Seems like a pretty good idea to me. But I don't see that happening. I also heard talk of a replacement backplate to add BoB features. Not sure if it was to be from GPH or not, but that hasn't surfaced either.

The bigger issue I see is that GPH wasted all this money building a BoB that apparently still has engineering flaws (big ones) and now, instead of even fixing it, is rushing on to make a docking station of some sort. This is clearly a totally new PCB design and will cost even more money. Why doesn't GPH fix this negative pattern in their behavior by planning out one working device, testing a prototype, ensuring it works and then mass-producing it? This 'make something broken, then mass-produce it, then replace it later with something totally different' bit is not a step in the right direction.

Well, this BoB is probably going to be enough to convince me to purchase a second GP2X, so I don't think that GPH is misguided in pursuing it (whether designing a BoB then going back and redesigning it was a good idea is another story..).

I can have one GP2X serve as a DivX/Xvid and emulation system for my TV, and one GP2X to take around wherever I am. I do hope the introduce some new colors though...

If you have a 'docking station' for a '2x the whole idea is to be able to set it down and have it hooked to power, TV-out and all of that. Why would you buy a SECOND machine because of a breakout box? If anything it should specifically eliminate any need to have 2 units.

Claym99 posted on Oct 8 2006 at 09:31 PM said:
the commercial version of vektar was released?...where the hell have I been?

I'm with you. There are only two commercial games that I'm even remotely aware of for the GP2X; Vektar and Payback. I didn't know Vektar had been released either.

1) That's /really/ poor marketing.
2) Where would one go to buy it?

Back