bluetooth - using GSM via mobile phone?

Galaxis

The combination of bluez, Network Manager, and Modem Manager on the Pandora obviously can't be used to access the GSM modem on a mobile phone. Is this supposed to work, or does anyone know what's missing?

The functionality and drivers are there in principle - I've managed to get a working UMTS connection via bluetooth on my mobile by adapting the instructions from the Arch Linux bluetooth GPRS howto, using rfcomm and pppd. But it's somewhat kludgy (and for some reason, pppd doesn't update the nameserver entries in resolv.conf).

Last edited by a moderator:
theres bluez on pandora fw? i need to follow these things a bit closer again

can't say about bluetooth. But I did get my htc touch pro winmo 6.5 to connect over usb for internet sharing

I have a Galaxy S, too. Bluetooth tethering started to just work with NetworkManager when I flashed it with CyanogenMod 9.

Not the easy way with networkmanager at least although I gave up pretty quickly because I wanted to flash CM anyway. If I remember correctly the phone didn't list any network services when queried. I tried a tethering-app but it didn't work, either.

Not the easy way with networkmanager at least although I gave up pretty quickly because I wanted to flash CM anyway. If I remember correctly the phone didn't list any network services when queried. I tried a tethering-app but it didn't work, either.

OK, did you lose any functionality because of the flashing to CM ?

I actually gained some functionality because it's rooted now. You lose the Samsung UI, but the CM one is faster anyway. What I actually never got back (and have never used) is the radio app but there should be some on the app store.

I actually gained some functionality because it's rooted now. You lose the Samsung UI, but the CM one is faster anyway. What I actually never got back (and have never used) is the radio app but there should be some on the app store.

good, thanks for confirming - one last thing before rooting is, what did you use to backup all your data?

I have a galaxy S1 and it is supposed to work with bluetooth connection sharing - I use BTDUN to connect both of them but then when I launch the browser there is no connection detected - What am I doing wrong ?

What exactly happens ? Do you receive a message telling that DUN service is not available ? Or a disconnession message ?

And when you start the connection can you see a message telling you the channel used ?

I have a Galaxy S, too. Bluetooth tethering started to just work with NetworkManager when I flashed it with CyanogenMod 9.

How did you added the device to Network Manager ? It doesn't scan for bluetooth devices

I didn't, I just tethered my phone and the Pandora and had to tick a box next to "Do you want to use this phone for internet connection?" It then shows up in networkmanager whenever you have bluetooth switched on even when your phone hasn't.

I didn't, I just tethered my phone and the Pandora and had to tick a box next to "Do you want to use this phone for internet connection?" It then shows up in networkmanager whenever you have bluetooth switched on even when your phone hasn't.

With "tethered" you are meaning "paired", right ? I need to find why this doesn't work with older phones

EDIT: maybe your phone it is using a PAN profile, this can explain all

Is there a speed or power consumption advantage to using Bluetooth to share a connection as opposed to using the android "mobile wi-fi hotspot" thing?

Is there a speed or power consumption advantage to using Bluetooth to share a connection as opposed to using the android "mobile wi-fi hotspot" thing?

I don't know about power consumption, but bluetooth is very much slower than wifi

Back