Gp2x Connected To Internet Via Mobile Phone?

psychotron

Still Fresh
Hello,
I'm new here and looking for buying GP2X it seems to be a great machine so I have already made a decision.

But I want to ask some questions - can be GP2X unit connected to internet via mobil phone using GPRS or EDGE data transfer? Every modern mobile phone supports GPRS already and newer ones have a EDGE too.
Maybe this is a easier way to connect to web as connect it throught WIFI (but of course GPRS and EDGE are paid) and I think this mobile phone connection would be comfortable for receiving/sending mails and operate with forums and so...

2ndQ: what about a BOB?
I don't like much a developer version because it's uncased and unsuitable for carrying around. It's there a new retail BOB version which is cased and is like a 'docking station'?
And can me someone tell me what would be difference between this two versions of BOB?
Cause if a new retail BOB have some stint function of devBOB I would't wait fot it and get rather devBOB and make a case for it...

And sorry if there is already a same topic about GPRS/EDGE.

GSM phones can often be connected to linux machines over usb using cdc-acm. I've had a little success with mine (enough to get the emulated modem interface), but didn't want to actually connect because it gets expensive fast for my plan.

The cased bob is supposed to be out "soon" design got finished recently, should be a matter of weeks, maybe motnhs.
The best way to get online with a mobile would be to use a usb bluetooth adaptor or a serial cable, bluetooth is worked on, serial cable should work straigth out of the box with normal modem commands.

Vimacs posted on Sep 8 2006 at 10:24 AM said:
The best way to get online with a mobile would be to use a usb bluetooth adaptor or a serial cable, bluetooth is worked on, serial cable should work straigth out of the box with normal modem commands.

I've got the bluetooth modules compiled and working using a usb host cable. Got the bluez tools from an Sharp Zaurus and can now connect to my bluetooth GPS using gpsd. Since that's just a serial interface you should be able to get ppp up and running on a serial (modem) connect via bluetooth to your phone.

/henrik

Last edited by a moderator:
Back