Bluetooth Range Question.

IceBerg303

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Has there been any real tests of the range of the bluetooth yet? I have an Asus WL-BTD201M ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833320016 ) adapter that when used with my Plantronics voyager 855 I can freely roam my house. I have it ideally places with a usb extension cable.

However, my Cowon q5 I have to bee within 3 feet of it or it cuts in and out, and my Asus G1 laptop fives me about 3-4 feet before it begins cutting out. I get a good 6-8 get from the PS3 before it cuts out.

I'm curious what kind of range we can expect from the Pandora.

I don't know real industrial specification, but AFAIK standard reach of BT is up to 10 m (31 ft) and some BT devices up to 100 m (310 ft). This may varying by environment, obstacles and radio interference from other sources.

I successfully connect my PocketPC (PocketLoox N560) with notebook (MSI BToes dongle) behind wall (living room to bedroom) at distance between devices about 5 m (16 ft) and still access Internet.

Vimacs said:
I think you should consider using wlan instead.

I havent seen a Plantronics headset that was wlan and would work with my phone and pc and pmp.

I successfully connect my PocketPC (PocketLoox N560) with notebook (MSI BToes dongle) behind wall (living room to bedroom) at distance between devices about 5 m (16 ft) and still access Internet.
[/quote]

Some bluetooth devices have ranges upto 30ft, this means it could be as little as 2 inches. Unlikely but you have to look at the wording. Each device has different ranges based on power.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't talking about peripheral devices, it sounds like you want to use bluetooth for networking, and thats clearly not what it is meant for.

Vimacs said:
I wasn't talking about peripheral devices, it sounds like you want to use bluetooth for networking, and thats clearly not what it is meant for.
Nope, just talking about the range for a headset.

Last edited by a moderator:
I post my previous post just as example, nowadays I have wifirouter and connecting to the Internet via wifi, not via BT :)

OK. I look at wikipeadia and found that BT specification defines 3 classes:
  • 1st class ~ 100 m
  • 2nd class ~ 10 m
  • 3rd class ~ 1 m

Back