bleh....

linc186

Still Fresh
I'm not doubting the power of the almighty pandora, and I know there's nothing in existence like it and that it's an amazing machine. 600mhz its fine, and i know it over clocks to 1ghz which is awesome too.

BUT.

what im worried about is that technology is evolving so quickly, and my 1ghz droid phone is already almost out of date, as there doing more shit... now, they're releasing dual 1ghz chips and things like that.

So im just worried that being in batch 2, by the time I get my hands on a pandora, it will be outdated.

Thoughts?

I'm not doubting the power of the almighty pandora, and I know there's nothing in existence like it and that it's an amazing machine. 600mhz its fine, and i know it over clocks to 1ghz which is awesome too.

BUT.

what im worried about is that technology is evolving so quickly, and my 1ghz droid phone is already almost out of date, as there doing more shit... now, they're releasing dual 1ghz chips and things like that.

So im just worried that being in batch 2, by the time I get my hands on a pandora, it will be outdated.

Thoughts?

What do you think these new phones can do that the Pandora can't?

The OMAP3 is proving itself as a very powerful SOC. Don't measure everything in Mhz (although I know everyone does... the PSP2 might have problems there if the rumours of an 800Mhz clock are true).

I have a Droid Incredible and have had a "premium" Pandora for the last two days now, and to be quite honest with you the upgrade was completely worth it! I was late batch 1, but wanted to support the project some more and it was worth every penny. The battery life alone on the Pandora is worth keeping alongside your phone. I have an extended battery for the phone but it never holds up to the point you would need it to. As far as emulation on the phone vs. the Pandora... Pandora hands down. The speed on the phone is deceiving and from what I've noticed games play smoother and more easily on the Pandora. PSX emulation is phenomenal! The controls also are very welcomed. As far as internet browsing goes, the nub navigation feels natural after using it for about 5 minutes. I only use the stylus as a cigarette placebo if I'm not using it for Mupen. The technology might evolve as it does so quickly, but the Pandora's guts handle everything as advertised and way better than I ever expected!

I don't think the Pandora will be 'out of date' until a phone can emulate a system that it would be impossible to do on the Pandora.

Also, for me at least, the Pandora will play my entire childhood, I quit console gaming around the 64 and never owned a Saturn so for me this will be good for quite some time.

The next threshold I have for 'out of date' is PS2 in my pocket, and that will not happen for a long time so I'm not worried.

I don't think the Pandora will be 'out of date' until a phone can emulate a system that it would be impossible to do on the Pandora.

Also, for me at least, the Pandora will play my entire childhood, I quit console gaming around the 64 and never owned a Saturn so for me this will be good for quite some time.

The next threshold I have for 'out of date' is PS2 in my pocket, and that will not happen for a long time so I'm not worried.

the pandora is more than capable of that though...ps2 runs like 288mhz. It's only a matter of source code.

what im worried about is that technology is evolving so quickly, and my 1ghz droid phone is already almost out of date

That is the nature of the beast. I'm probably as guilty as the next man for falling into the trap of thinking that something becomes obsolete the second something better comes along. Don't fall for this materialist myth. The Pandora does what is was meant to do, i.e. be a hand held retro gaming computer. As a bonus it does a whole lot more too.

If some phone comes along that blows the Pandora out of the water for emulation capability then unless it had a Pandora like battery (i.e. not going to happen) it would in no way replace the Pandora for me.

As for PS2, even if you gave Notaz 100 years there is no way on this earth that the Pandora will ever emulate PS2 to a playable standard. Pandora 2 will eat it for breakfast though.

the pandora is more than capable of that though...ps2 runs like 288mhz. It's only a matter of source code.
It's a very difficult system to emulate though, computers don't even do it well.

It's a very difficult system to emulate though, computers don't even do it well.
Tell me about it..

Buuuut I did manage to play through MGS 3: Snake Eater on my laptop (dual core 2.2 GHz, 1GB dual ram, Nvidia gefore 8600m GT 512 ram)

It only lagged when i stared at any water source

"fighting" against The Sorrow took me about 20 min! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
As for PS2, even if you gave Notaz 100 years there is no way on this earth that the Pandora will ever emulate PS2 to a playable standard. Pandora 2 will eat it for breakfast though.

I'd pay half a year's pay to buy a Pandora 2 if it can play PS2 at fullspeed.

For me my droid x compliments my Pandora. I use the two together with the phone providing my wifi hotspot.

Add to that battery life that rocks out and two more words: Game Controls :p

I'm hoping to make games and applications for the Pandora for a long time.

It's not as though music players are going to suddenly require extra CPU power. If we can get the DSP going, they will actually need much less.

And I think with the Pandora standing as the most powerful and easy-to-program portable homebrew system, there will be a strong developer community once more people are able to buy them.

Android itself bogs down the phone a bit.. Also until I see a phone with nubs, a proper D-pad, good keyboard and Excellent sound quality.. I don't think I'll put down my Pandora any time soon.

Tell me about it..

Buuuut I did manage to play through MGS 3: Snake Eater on my laptop (dual core 2.2 GHz, 1GB dual ram, Nvidia gefore 8600m GT 512 ram)

How did you manage that!? I've got a gaming pc with six cores at 3.2ghz, 8gb of ram, and a Radeon 5850. I couldnt play a dang thing while emulating ps2. Probably missing a setting somewhere...

One thing the Pandora has that no other smart phone has: a compiler onboard.

;)

Does the Pandora do what you want?

For now I'm really enjoying surfing with Fennec and the sound quality through headphones is amazing. I've thrown all sorts of photos, video, games at it and it has handled it all. It is far more portable than a ipad and not locked to what some nameless exec says I can use it for. Much of the CURRENT gadgetry out there uses comparable technology so while it isn't as cutting edge as it might have been its potential performance is up there with much of the current generation of smartphones and tablets.

The problems I'm experiencing are to do with the immaturity of the OS and the apps. That is all very fixable. Frustrating sometimes but thats the nature of buying an open source niche product. On the other hand if I have a question about the hardware, OS or software, the creator of that item is on this forum and might be able to answer the question. That in turn may allow me to create a version of some software or a hardware hack that might suit me and perhaps you too. In spite of the frustrations this is a very exciting place to be.

So back to the question what do you want / need?

Tell me about it..

How did you manage that!? I've got a gaming pc with six cores at 3.2ghz, 8gb of ram, and a Radeon 5850. I couldnt play a dang thing while emulating ps2. Probably missing a setting somewhere...
I think I used a pre-fixed BIOS setting, cuz I was to lazy to fix it my self :p

But that was the only game I played on my computer, found my old PS2.

Search on youtube and see if you find any

Back