Billiards - Port Request

renegadechic

I hate creating threads like this because so many get shot down in flames however I was wondering whether this might be a potential port to the pandora?

http://www.nongnu.org/billiards/

I've been looking at handheld snooker and pool games recently and I am pretty unimpressed with the offerings for the DS.

From what I can tell it looks like the source is available, its also released under the GNU.

The only thing that looks like it may cause difficulties is that it is OpenGL but I feel like I am loosely aware of GL to GLES wrappers possibly?

I don't know, just wondering if it is possible!

1) the only port request thread that get shoot down are those created in the wrong forum.

2) all the GL -> GLES wrapper I've seen sucks, you'ld better with a proper port (which might not be that hard)

3) why this pool game instead of the 2 others (foobilliards and billiard3d)

1) the only port request thread that get shoot down are those created in the wrong forum.

2) all the GL -> GLES wrapper I've seen sucks, you'ld better with a proper port (which might not be that hard)

3) why this pool game instead of the 2 others (foobilliards and billiard3d)
I could not (and am still struggling to) find billiard3d. Foobilliards didn't appeal because although it looks like a good game for pool, the table sizes for their snooker game looks really off i.e. it looks like its on a 6x3ft or 9x4.5ft table rather than a 12x6. The other game simply looks like it has better proportions. Not actually played any of the games so do not know if any of them are superior to the other.

Really I should just get off the computer and walk 5 mins down the road to the snooker club, but sometimes its useful to practice some positional physics under more controlled and repeatable conditions for the sake of tactics.

This game looks good, graphically anyway.

I used to play a lot of Virtual Pool on my phone against random people over Wi-Fi, that's a good game but was more American based I think, was 9-ball etc, bit like what this one is, I guess that's billiards?

I'd prefer a pool, as in red vs yellow, spots vs stripes, as I'm used to in pubs, or snooker.

but billiards potting in number order game is still alright, just not what I'm used to.

under the Summary of that link, says it's 2 player with a friend, so I guess that let's you invite by username or something?

that would be very nice, could hold little Pandora pool battle comps

I used to play a lot of Virtual Pool on my phone against random people over Wi-Fi, that's a good game but was more American based I think, was 9-ball etc, bit like what this one is, I guess that's billiards?

I'd prefer a pool, as in red vs yellow, spots vs stripes, as I'm used to in pubs, or snooker.

but billiards potting in number order game is still alright, just not what I'm used to.
yeah i like 9ball for quick games particularly against newer players as it levels the field a bit. i prefer 8ball pool though i don't know whether i prefer american sized 9x4.5ft pool or english 6x3ft pool. very different games. snooker is the one for me though, its so much more tactical and the greater distances are an enjoyable challenge. tactics in snooker is very different to pool as well. you can roll the majority of the balls in in pool a lot of the time but in snooker you have so much space that you can really try to make life difficult for your opponent.

under the Summary of that link, says it's 2 player with a friend, so I guess that let's you invite by username or something?
that would be very nice, could hold little Pandora pool battle comps
that would be cool! definitely up for that :D

I spent a lot of my nights up the snooker hall, not always playing as we know the owners and previous owners for past 20 years and it's been a hang out, arcades in early years poker in recent years, but get a fair bit of snooker on.

Considering how much I've played I'm not that good, ..beer. Though some of my mates play for the club in tournies I just play for fun against my mates. Definitely be good to get an snooker game with invites available, I think I'll look online if any open ones exist that a dev could be tempted to do a port on, I'd put some loot on it

Edit: a little look and the only one I saw offering snooker and invites over net was FooBillard, which you say has not a great table size, hopefully someone will know of another possible game or port the one you suggested originally, and we'll play billard

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a few snooker/pool/billiards games that run perfectly on the playstation emu, if you really need a quick "fix" right now! :)

...Foobilliards didn't appeal because although it looks like a good game for pool, the table sizes for their snooker game looks really off i.e. it looks like its on a 6x3ft or 9x4.5ft table rather than a 12x6. The other game simply looks like it has better proportions. Not actually played any of the games so do not know if any of them are superior to the other.
It seems like if they designed the program properly, adjusting the table size shouldn't be that difficult. A quick search on the subject put me on the man page, which said the table length can be configured on the command line. Maybe it can also be configured somewhere else?

It seems like if they designed the program properly, adjusting the table size shouldn't be that difficult. A quick search on the subject put me on the man page, which said the table length can be configured on the command line. Maybe it can also be configured somewhere else?

I had a quick look, billards is in lua, so no luck for me.

foobillards will need either a menu or a frontend

billardGL use GLUT so it will need either a GLUTES port or a migration to SDL...

You're better playing psx for a while I guess

Glutes works good, as you can see in the falling up game. I used it to convert this game to gles :)

Well well, time me needs ;)

Also I've never done something with displaylists. I don't like them.

Well, don't feel the weight of too much pressure dude, I managed to get my hands on a copy of World Championship Snooker for PSX and its a pretty nice game! Just played one frame and made an 84 break! The difficulty level isn't too high but its nice. Its actually possibly the nicest snooker game I've played in this series. The one on the PS2 is quite clunky in a lot of ways and shot accuracy is pretty hard to attain sometimes (i mean it manages to force some shots to be impossible) and the one of the DS is graphically so poor that you cant tell if you are shooting straight or not sometimes!

I used to be a bit of a hustler in real life, though I could also kick some hairy a-hole on Virtual pool! Have you tried virtual pool 3 on the PSX emulator?

EDIT: Just tidying my crappy typing up....

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to be a bit of a hustler in real life, though I could also kick some hairy a-hole on Virtual pool! Have you tried virtual pool 3 on the PSX emulator?

EDIT: Just tidying my crappy typing up....
I have! It works really well and is feature packed! Looks like the PSX games have pretty much all our cue sport bases covered really, short of some super modern high resolution game with crazy graphics. Must admit that I am not as keen on Virtual Pool's cuing action (press back, press up). Much prefer a tighter control over the force used. Really, the only things these games lack is multiplayer, but then who knows how much that would be used anyway.

Just posting as might be of interest, the Google Play app store has this game in their special offers celebrating 25 billion apps.

Pool Break Pro

A premium app that is only 25p now, limited time only.

Offers variantions of snooker and pool and more... Network play too.

With the Android running on Pandora this might be worth getting.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kb.Carrom3DFull&feature=apps_promotion_celebrate_25_billion#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLG51bGwsImNvbS5rYi5DYXJyb20zREZ1bGwiXQ..

https://www.youtube.com/embed/F_1gKf8z_WI?feature=oembed

Back