Best Western RPGs?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
List them here .. Any platform any year :)

You like Ultima? Wizardry? Captive? Dungeon Master? Fallout? Elder Scrolls? Gold Box?

What are your favorite PC, Amiga ST, C64 .. you name it!

But western style.. Not JRPG like Chronotrigger or Zelda or Final Fantasy; games where you build a party, wander anywhere and make your own story..

I'll post later from my desktop but my recommendations are Wizardry 6, 7, 8 and Dungeon Master :)

Jeffphone

Amberstar? Elvira?

I personally love the Elder Scrolls games. I tend to play them on PC (well Morrowind and Oblivion anyway). Never really got into Fallout or Ultima. I think Elder Scrolls: Arena and Daggerfall work in DOSbox though. I'll dig them out and try them on the Pandora.

I think Elder Scrolls: Arena and Daggerfall work in DOSbox though. I'll dig them out and try them on the Pandora.
I've read several times that they run very, very slow. But don't let that stop you from trying.

To answer the topic:

Ultima, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Baldurs gate, Planescape Torment, Knights of the Old Republic (i.e. the first one).

By the way, why is this in the Development section? Are you planning something big?

I personally love the Elder Scrolls games. I tend to play them on PC (well Morrowind and Oblivion anyway). Never really got into Fallout or Ultima. I think Elder Scrolls: Arena and Daggerfall work in DOSbox though. I'll dig them out and try them on the Pandora.
Same here, I can't wait till 11.11.11.

Skyrim :wub:

Ultima 7, Betrayal at Krondor (appears to work well in DOSBox on Pandora & it'a about $5 on gog.com), all of the Elder Scrolls. Baldur's Gate & eIcwind Dale are great too. Neverwinter Nights 1 was quite good, particularly the user created stuff. NWN2 just never played well, so I never played it much. Two sleepers are The Witcher ($5 now at gog.com I don't work for them, I just like them) and Divine Divinity - weird name, great game also at gog :) . They both have sequels out right now but I haven't played either yet.

Dragon Age Origins was pretty good too but I guess at the end of the day ES Oblivion was the most fun, probably because I got my daughters and their boyfriends into it, which made keeping an eye on them MUCH easier!
:)

In case you didn't notice, I am a bit of a fan of Western RPG's...

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here, I can't wait till 11.11.11.

Skyrim :wub:

+11.11.11 - Skyrim looks amazing!

the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-20110415033055955_640w.jpg

+11.11.11 - Skyrim looks amazing!
It certainly does. However, Bethesda has a habit of losing content with each new game in the series. Sure, combat was better in Oblivion than it was in Morrowind, but Dialogue was horrible. Oblivion was more a hack'n'slasher than it was an RPG.

Caine - blast, cocked it up from my phone :/. Game under development is high strategy multiplayer 4X wargame .. Hoping to get it to playable alpha before the twins come and destroy my brain :)

I never quite 'got' JRPGs.. Just dont care for them

But toss me any good western dungeon crawl and I'm in!

Tempted to replay Phantasie 1/2/3 from the ST/C64 days..

Always cool to come back to a game from 25 years back with your old save fike and continue.. (Wizardry, Hitchhikers Guide so far..)

Jeffphone

Why's this in the dev section?

Anyway, fallout, kotor, nox (a bit hack/slash-ish, but I'll include it anyway).

Elder Scrolls for me

It's a bit of a tie between Morrowind and Oblivion

Morrowind had its own world, own architecture. It diddn't look like every other RPG - none of that "pseudo-dark ages" except for a few towns. It also had plenty of history and the books were amazing.

Oblivion looked more like every other RPG and most towns invoked that "seen a million times" feeling.

It was, at least the german release, chock full of bugs, you wouldn't believe it. I don't think they tested it once, as some of the bugs were really obvious (for example, you start with a fireball spell (according to the description), that is actually a healing spell, and a healing spell that is actually a fireball. The translation was generally horrible, a small healing potion was translated as "schwacher trank der lebens-wiederherstellung", but that was too long for the console-optimized inventory, so in-game, it was "Schw. Tr. d. Le.en.-W.", I kid you not (right in screenshot: using oblivion improved). Classy. A quest wanted you to grab "nachtschatten" (night shadow), but the item name was "tollkirsche". And that are just the translation bugs, not counting the huge load of other issues. Luckily, there's "Oblivion Improved", a fan made patch of over 100 megabytes that solves all the issues that shouldn't be there to begin with.

Also, all but a few of the books in oblivion were just copies of those in morrowind. You have to wonder why there are so many books about morrowind but so few about the other districts in the royal library..

But there's one thing for me that makes oblivion equal to morrowind: the quests. In morrowind, all quests but the ones in the main story line were the old boring "go there, fetch/kill that" quests. In Oblivion, on the other hand, all factions had their own quest line with interesting quests that would be the main quest in other games. just an example of such a quest: in one for the assassins guild, you are in a closed house and have to murder all other people in it while acting innocent, blaming other people and so on, so in the end, the last two targets might kill each other because they both thought you were innocent and the other one had to be the murderer. Even some quests not associated with any faction can be great, for example one in which you have to go inside a painting, where the whole world is rendered in oil paint.

aaanyway, I wrote way too much. In short: Morrowind is cool for the world, oblivion for the quests and they together are my favorite western RPGs

I wanted to play the old fallout ones, too, but the only way I could legally get them uncensored is by ordering them from amazon.com and pay the sellers 50$ international ship price (which i more than double the price of the game itself)

For me a Fallout has a special place. I got it on a disc that was included in a local gaming magazine and the magazine crew actually translated the whole game in Czech, without that I would not have enjoyed the game that much, because back then my understanding of English was very, very basic. As the guys were gamers and actual fans of the game, the translation was faithful and very well done. IIRC they also did it in just one week and it was much better than some professional translation of current games. Not counting Diablo 2, Fallout was my intro into RPG genre I think..

KOTOR was excellent RPG and for me the best Star Wars game made. I also quite enjoyed Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines, though I haven't finished that, as I got stuck somewhere I believe. Now I can't find the disc and it's not on GOG or steam either...

Another on that was somewhat interesting is Siege of Avalon. The demo seemed pretty good years ago, but I never played the full version. It was open-sourced several years ago, but I never heard if anything was actually done with it or not... possibly worth looking into a port sometime.

Another Elder Scrolls fan here :D Can remember playing Morrowind for the first time, walking round Seyda Neen and carefully exploring the lands around it... Goooooooooood times :rolleyes:

To mention some different games from my perspective as german player:

* Realms of Arcadia (1 to 3), known as "Das Schwarze Auge" among german (p&p) players

* "Gothic" series

* Risen

Of course I also love some D&D based games like Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment and the likes. I really enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins, too. There are also some more "hack&slay" like games that can be fun, like eg Sacred, Two Worlds and stuff like this. What I would also count in here as "different but somehow RPG" is "Alpha Protocol" (some obscure mix between action shooter, thief like and rpg like game). Not really classical RPG but fun nonetheless.

Back