Best Gp2X Programs

4LPH4 W0LF

Still Fresh
Hey, I'm new to the GP2X, and I was wondering what some of the best programs are, and where to download them. Thanks!

Hi there, and welcome. :)

This is the file archive for the GP2X. Many great things made by the community here. As to what I can recommend, well, most emulators work nicely, and some neat games like Beat2X, Nanobounce and Ruckman. Just to mention some that I like, but there are many other games and apps to look into.

Just a warning since you're new... be careful with the Firmwares section, you should only try firmware upgrades when you've learned what they are for. Surely you don't want to brick your GP2X! Not discouraging you, just trying to prevent any unpleasant things happening to you.

Happy browsing and enjoy your 2X! ;)

Edit: Heheh, didn't see the other thread. Oh well, hope the links are useful.

gp2.eXe said:
Hi there, and welcome. :)

This is the file archive for the GP2X. Many great things made by the community here. As to what I can recommend, well, most emulators work nicely, and some neat games like Beat2X, Nanobounce and Ruckman. Just to mention some that I like, but there are many other games and apps to look into.

Just a warning since you're new... be careful with the Firmwares section, you should only try firmware upgrades when you've learned what they are for. Surely you don't want to brick your GP2X! Not discouraging you, just trying to prevent any unpleasant things happening to you.

Happy browsing and enjoy your 2X! ;)

Edit: Heheh, didn't see the other thread. Oh well, hope the links are useful.
Thank you anyways, and do you recomend any other specific titles? Stuff I'm interested in are emulators, platfrom games, FPS games, and action games. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... let's see.

Emulators: I use mainly Gpsp, a Gameboy Advance emulator, very nice and most games run fullspeed. Also PocketSNES, like it a lot as well.

Platformers: One that comes to mind is Giana's Return, an unofficial sequel to a game for the c64. Reminds of the Mario games but with its own style and features.

FPS: I don't play any myself so wouldn't know what to tell you...

Action: Fancy a bit of beat em ups style? openBOR can give you that.

Note, this is just a heads up to get you started, there are many more interesting things hidden in that archive, you just gotta take some time to find them. ;)

gp2.eXe said:
Hmm... let's see.

Emulators: I use mainly Gpsp, a Gameboy Advance emulator, very nice and most games run fullspeed. Also PocketSNES, like it a lot as well.

Platformers: One that comes to mind is Giana's Return, an unofficial sequel to a game for the c64. Reminds of the Mario games but with its own style and features.

Note, this is just a heads up to get you started, there are many more interesting things hidden in that archive, you just gotta take some time to find them. ;)
thank you very much. i will be sure to check out the site extensively

4LPH4 W0LF said:
Stuff I'm interested in are emulators, platfrom games, FPS games, and action games. Thanks!
For FPS I can vouch that the following work very well.
zDoom (Doom, Doom 2, Hexen, Heretic; Strife has issues) - also run add-on pwads (1000s)
2xHexen2 (Hexen 2 and Portals of Praevus)
duke3d (Duke Nukem 3D)
quake (Quake and Mission Packs)
wolf4sdl (Wolfenstein, Spear of Destiny)
rott (Rise of the Triad)

Here is a list of my favourites:

camelot warrior Very hard platformer

If you are into platformers you have to check out cavestory because it rules them all!

The Urquan Masters is an awesome space-combat/exploration/trading game. Also very fun...

ZELDA!!! Zelda ROTH and Zelda Classic while the first is a fan sequel to zelda 3, the second emulates the look of the NES legend of zelda.

Mr Driller remake Drill2x

Sqdef is an awesome towerdefense game, if not the best ever made on this side of the galaxy. I helped beta testing the game and it has come a long way since the first release, I still spend a lot of time playing this whenever I dig out my gp2x. In fact all of the games Alex made are pretty good. Check out his website: http://artraid.com/sqdef/

Zombiepox braaaaiiiiiiiins...

Vektar Is sort of like geometry wars but cooler and now freeware.

Garden2x is an abstract shmup

and if you like puzzlegames try Tilematch or Animatch, they're both great remakes of zookeeper for DS.

xnopasaranx said:
Here is a list of my favourites:

camelot warrior Very hard platformer

If you are into platformers you have to check out cavestory because it rules them all!

The Urquan Masters is an awesome space-combat/exploration/trading game. Also very fun...

ZELDA!!! Zelda ROTH and Zelda Classic while the first is a fan sequel to zelda 3, the second emulates the look of the NES legend of zelda.

Mr Driller remake Drill2x

Sqdef is an awesome towerdefense game, if not the best ever made on this side of the galaxy. I helped beta testing the game and it has come a long way since the first release, I still spend a lot of time playing this whenever I dig out my gp2x. In fact all of the games Alex made are pretty good. Check out his website: http://artraid.com/sqdef/

Zombiepox braaaaiiiiiiiins...

Vektar Is sort of like geometry wars but cooler and now freeware.

Garden2x is an abstract shmup

and if you like puzzlegames try Tilematch or Animatch, they're both great remakes of zookeeper for DS.
thanks alot of those sound interesting

gp2.eXe said:
Hmm... let's see.

i now have gpsp and its the most used program on my gp2x. the only games i had trouble with are Tekken Advance (wont load) Simpsons Road Rage (redirects to main menu)Kingdom Hearts chain of memories (loads but freezes during intro movie)and all games made by EA Sports (Fifa, Madden, Nba, etc. Works but VERY Slow)

For best results with gpsp, you should use the file gba_bios.bin, which helps improve compatibility. However you'll have to find it on your own because of legal issues, and asking where to obtain it here will result in a warning or ban.The readme file from gpsp offers more info.

Back