Best Free Virus Scanner

hhmmm ok... Ive heard some bad things about AVG like it misses some viruses thats why I dont use it... hhmmmm

Most free virusscanners catch all (normal) virusses by now. The only way the expensive guys can distuingish themselves is by adding a ton of features (internet filters, bad spyware blockers) nobody ever wanted or needed and by using slicker interfaces (they also bring your system to a halt doing so ;))

One of the most important differences between virusscanners is the abillity to scan inside different compressed files (example: most scan zip-files but not all can scan rar-files). If you are just carefull and scan again after extraction you should be fine.

In recent tests the big boys did not do very well, their responses to new virusses (database updates) are not very fast, recovery tools for XP that cannot read NTFS and lots of other minor flaws. Not very acceptable for programs that will cost you about 50$ a year :angry:

Good firewall (free for non-commercial use): www.zonealarm.com
Good Antivirus (again, free for non-commercial use): www.avast.com

I use Avast since it's not well known... and well-known virus protectors are most likely be overridden by some news viruses...

NO! I strongly disagree with AVG virus checker, I used to use it and managed to get my machine infected even with the resident scanner. And the viruses I got weren't new ones.

Furthermore, 3 other people have experienced the same thing since then....

a good online virus checker can be found at www.pandasoftware.com

ive decided that AVG SUCKS. i got infected with some killer virus that reset my pc, didnt allow me to run any exe's and destroyed my drivers. it managed to find it AFTER the damage has be done so i had to do a fuckin system restore. thanks avg

Common sense... it's free powerful and i've been using it for more than 6 years now and never got caught by a virus.
As a side note I want to ad that I've been using the ultra secure Opera Browser for also 6 years now (no opera doesn't come with common sense) and have been firewalled (hardware) since the first time I went on internet.

Back