Best Android handheld atm?

Garrett

Advanced Member
I'm considering one as a gift for my mother this Xmas, primary use would be gaming/browsing & media streaming.. she loves her DS games so one that has a good screen with enough real estate & is responsive for the Drastic emulator and that performs well with the other emu's too, responsive controls and good build quality would also be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just get her some DS games or a 3DS?

Emulating is never as good as the real thing.

How about a DSi XL whit a flash card and some real DS Games??

My dad have my old 3DS XL whit farming simulator 3D and Dr Kawashima.. but he ditnt play whit it..

Maybe i should gave him Senran Kagura 1 :) ..

The Guys behind the Revo K101 Plus GBA are working on a DS Hardware Clone, maybe this is something interesting..

A 3DS Handheld is also great because then you only need to search for a thirt player for Legend of "Rüchlinde" (because there is no zelda) Triforce Heros ..

In addition to my first post, your mum might not be comfortable with the transition and may not use the Android device. 

A 3DS XL would be the best option as it has a large screen, lots of nice games and of course.. the nintendo touch your mother is used to where as Android will require more technical knowledge (Not assuming your mum isn't technical but perhaps the older generation would be thankful for using something similar without having to relearn everything or go into an overly complex environment (Yes, Android is complex).

In addition, emulating a DS on an Android isn't as fun as having the original as you need to hit a button to switch screens and whatnot, it's not the best experience and she'd probably stop using the device and want her old DS back.

If you were looking to introduce her to public domain stuff then perhaps as matzesu suggested, a Flash Cartridge but you're really asking for trouble ;) .

Perhaps an AppleTV / Chromecast would be a worthy investment for media streaming and some games. (The new AppleTV is capable of playing App store games with the remote control).

I'm considering one as a gift for my mother this Xmas, primary use would be gaming/browsing & media streaming.. she loves her DS games so one that has a good screen with enough real estate & is responsive for the Drastic emulator and that performs well with the other emu's too, responsive controls and good build quality would also be nice.

Do you have a budget? GPD Xd looks like the best choice however be aware if you order from China (or elsewhere outside the EU) you should be required to pay VAT (or you might not if you get lucky)

How about those Flashcards for the nintendo DS? Like the R4 or the M3. There is good Homebrew for the DS like Quake1/2 Port, Minecraft and an Portal(Aperture Science DS) Clones. And of course there are  lots of games to... ähm.. create backups of them.... :ph34r:

Back