Behind The Curtain, Pdroms And The Gp2x

Kojote

Certified Guru
Staff member
Website
www.pdroms.de
dear fellow gp32x.de webboard members,

as some of you know, or don't know... pdroms was a page caring about homebrew for plenty of systems, EVEN for gp2x and gp32.

we are currently restructuring pdroms and the alpha page is located here:
[LINKS REMOVED, enough "preview" :)]

the page is NOT public and just a "preview" for all visitors of THIS webboard. enjoy and don't spread the url around yet, see it as gift for "personal use".

for those who are just interested in the gp2x and gp32 part

[LINKS REMOVED, enough "preview" :)]

of course there are also related news feeds with it. DUE TO HEAVY RESTRUCTURING it's not recommended to order the feeds atm, but they would work.

once the page is public, it will move back to it's origin pdroms.de location.

known bugs or problems:
* possible layout problems with opera if you browse the file sections
* file archive is not fully back yet, this will take some time

if you have any recommendations, then let us know now, while we are at it...

regards
the pdroms team
kojote, celeth, kedo & symphatisants

Last edited by a moderator:
Kojote said:
the page is NOT public and just a "preview" for all visitors of THIS webboard. enjoy and don't spread the url around yet, see it as gift for "personal use".

:rolleyes: It's public now.

But good effort :)

Looks nice, the only thing I can see is that the logo needs a bit of a spruce up. How about a competition to do a new one?

Nova said:
Looks nice, the only thing I can see is that the logo needs a bit of a spruce up. How about a competition to do a new one?
i don't think it's too bad, in fact we had to remove the better looking one due to IE not beeing able to deal with alpha png's. this one should be safe with all browsers out there.

better would be to suggest which other features you guys want to have, while we are still working on the code. once we have settled down with the code, there wont be much chance of additional or extra features.

Kojote said:
i don't think it's too bad, in fact we had to remove the better looking one due to IE not beeing able to deal with alpha png's. this one should be safe with all browsers out there.
Fuck IE6. Give the rest of us a nice looking logo, let IE users see it with a grey background. Barely worse for them, a lot better for us.

Everything is quick to get to, and the layout is very nice. One request, how about displaying the number of downloads for each file?

Alex. said:
Everything is quick to get to, and the layout is very nice. One request, how about displaying the number of downloads for each file?
not sure how "useful" this is, as i we don't keep "OLD" files anymore, just the latest release. the question is if we keep the download numbers of the old "release" or just keep adding up... i will discuss this with the coder today night.

Blah said:
archive.gp2x.de uses the total...
well we can go for that too, any other suggestions? :)

user file upload, user news, etc will be all possible. of course just after a administrated registration... we want to keep the garbage and spam away, do we? :D

Kojote, congrats on PDRoms being awesome! :)
Now all thats needed again is some good ole traffic!

It's great to see the site back again. Even though I don't own most of the systems, it was always nice seeing what work was going on in the other homebrew scenes.

Kojote said:
Alex. said:
not sure how "useful" this is, as i we don't keep "OLD" files anymore, just the latest release. the question is if we keep the download numbers of the old "release" or just keep adding up... i will discuss this with the coder today night.

How about having two counters, one for the total downloads of all versions, and one for the new version? I saw no other archive have this, and it would be interesting to follow.

Kojote said:
better would be to suggest which other features you guys want to have, while we are still working on the code. once we have settled down with the code, there wont be much chance of additional or extra features.
There are ways of fixing that, if you want to know. :)

Without Javascript (requires PHP, but may be easily converted): http://www.twinhelix.com/css/iepngfix/
With Javascript (easier to implement): http://www.twinhelix.com/css/iepngfix/

I'm pretty sure the first one does the processing server-side that the second option would've done client-side. The downside of this is it's a bit more complex. However, you may side with another position. :D

javaJake said:
Kojote said:
There are ways of fixing that, if you want to know. :)

Without Javascript (requires PHP, but may be easily converted): http://www.twinhelix.com/css/iepngfix/
With Javascript (easier to implement): http://www.twinhelix.com/css/iepngfix/

I'm pretty sure the first one does the processing server-side that the second option would've done client-side. The downside of this is it's a bit more complex. However, you may side with another position. :D

too late now... pdr is online :D (check pdroms.de)

Back